Author Topic: I'm sick of these lazy ignorant people.  (Read 6182 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
I'm sick of these lazy ignorant people.
« on: August 14, 2012, 13:28:24 »
Someone, almost certainly a plot holder, has left this pile of rubbish at the side of our toilet block.

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

I reported it to the Council's environmental dept. and they passed it on to our Allotment dept.

I've just had a phonecall from our Allotments Officer to say that the dept. does not have a budget for removing it and we must do it ourselves.

I am fairly easy-going but this has made me really annoyed.

Firstly that one of 'our own' has so little respect for us that they think it is alright to leave their household rubbish for someone else to clear up and secondly that the allotment officer more or less told me that one of us has to do it or we will be breaking our self-management agreement.  I'm not complaining about him, but there is no consideration for the fact that we are doing all the work of running the site with very little support when we need it.

It's our Summer Fayre this Sunday and we have enough to do without clearing up after lazy ignorant people.

Rant over, sorry about that.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: I'm sick of these lazy ignorant people.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 13:35:50 »
I would not like to be dog owner on your site..I can almost feel the accusing stares I would get for walking to my plot with a dog..
Cardboard is so easy to get rid of..surely it is much more work to drag that big box over there than get rid of it in home.. ::)
Have you asked around who's had insulation job done in home.. ;D

I would feel gutted seeing that kind of pile being dumped on site too.. >:(

I would be tempted to leave cardboard sign on top of that pile for few days saying..."you ignorant pig!"

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 13:56:47 »

So where does all the allotment rent money go to.  .  .  .?

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 14:06:07 »
I just can't believe that people would do this, especially as our site is only about 5 minutes drive away from the local tip.

I've sent an email to all on our email list, about 70 people, and had some replies from people who are as upset as I am.  But that still leaves about 40 people who don't have emails.  I am definitely going to put some sort of notice on top of the pile.  How about  "TAKE YOUR RUBBISH TO THE TIP - YOU DIRTY F***ER" ?  :o
(Only joking, but I'm very tempted)

Tony - there will be even more money in October when the rent goes up.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 15:13:34 »
you can bet your bottom dollar its someone with a car! we too are 5 mins from the only tip in town and have had a few cases of dumping of late...including a mouldy old carpet Im not looking forward to dragging into a skip...and guess who will be paying for that! You have my sympathy Betty and hope it helps knowing you are not alone in this!
R x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 17:33:18 »
Leave a notice saying how the council are going to charge for removal, therefore rents will be going up accordingly and the way you feel this could be the last Summer Fayre, it may pull a few heart strings or get others to act, this is my way.   :(    ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 17:35:59 »
Try and beleive in Karma to help dissapate the anger.  Somehow their life will become harder for making someone elses harder.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 18:50:01 »
I feel for you Betty- it is disgusting!
When someone put asbestos in our skip on the site I left a note explaining that we would never be allowed to have a free skip again if asbestos was put in the skip (as I have to sign to say there is none in the skip. )
I asked the person to remove it and it did actually go - do not know where though :-\

I think CK's got the answer- trouble is there is so much  rubbish and it is such a big site that the culprit would risk being seen- not that it stopped them dumping it :( :( :(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 19:11:30 »
Like Betty said. It would probably have been easier for the person to take it to the tip than bring it to the plot.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Welsh Merf

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 20:24:57 »
Earlier this year I completed an Asbestos Supervisor's Course. It is not my job, but part of my job is to control and supervise contractors, so some knowledge about certain subjects is handy!

It is hard to say from the photos whether this is actually asbestos (or asbestos-containing material); it is more than likely something like Rockwool. No building built after about 2000 should have any asbestos in it - by law.

However, I would be very careful handling that stuff, not knowing EXACTLY what it is. I would suggest that you tell the local council/environmental dept that you have what you THINK is asbestos dumped on your ground. They would then have to investigate and deal with it. Go to the HSE website - there's plenty of free information about asbestos on there!

If it comes to a point that you have no option but to move it yourself, I would wear overalls, gloves, and some form of nasal protection (filer/mask). It is fibrous and can make you really itchy, whatever it is.

I don't mean to frighten you, or to start a panic; I'm just thinking of your health. Better safe than sorry, eh!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 23:03:35 »
Ask around.  Find out who it is.  Dump it back on their front doorstep.  Job jobbed.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:03:04 »
Thanks for all the replies.

I think it will be a good idea to leave a notice on it, as Kev suggests and I'll try to get that done today.

I'm going to speak to our Allotments Officer and tell him what Welsh Merf has said and see what he suggests.

Thanks again everyone.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 18:52:22 »
Any update Betty, I also think that Dandytown has a good point, a philosophical attitude can help. However sometimes you put up with so much C**p and this one really does test your good nature to the extreme :'(

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 19:18:19 »
I seems to have been deliberately dumped there for a purpose....To annoy? Get their own back? ?? Neighbours who don't like you?
Who's been upsetting who? Perhaps a site meeting would be a way forward rather than emails?
Get it all out in the open and if necessary many hands make light work. Rubber gloves, old aprons and move on but any repeats would mean you have a rather more serious issue to tackle.
Hope you don't  ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 19:52:23 »
I only went to feed the cats today PL.  I had ordered a new pc so I needed to be at home to play with it set it up.
One of our really helpful plot holders phoned me to say that he had some large plastic bags and he would bag it all up then arrange for it to be collected and taken to the tip.

GL - I think I would become paranoid if I started wondering what the reason was!

I can see one problem if we remove it though - whoever dumped it will think they can keep doing it because their rubbish keeps getting taken away.  There again, if we don't move it probably more will get added to it.
We can't win.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 20:42:07 »
We can't win.

Yes you can Betty it just doesn't feel like it at the moment. Good will win through! :)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:43 »
Really sympathise with you over this ignorant dumping. :'( I imagine most sites have experienced this sort of thing especially when a skip is delivered to take away any 'brown rubbish', it is amazing what is supposedly found on site. We know that some items must have come from homes. Maybe not plot holders but perhaps overlooking neighbours who don't miss an opportuntiy for a free tip. Really don't know what the answer to this is. I take your point that if you clear it away then the offender will see this as acceptacle behavoiur and re-offend, but in your case with an open day on the horizon, the last thing you want is rubbish on show. Hope you find out who it is and can have a quiet word with them and that te performance is not repeated. Have a good show :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:02 »
Really sympathise with you over this ignorant dumping. :'( I imagine most sites have experienced this sort of thing especially when a skip is delivered to take away any 'brown rubbish', it is amazing what is supposedly found on site. We know that some items must have come from homes. Maybe not plot holders but perhaps overlooking neighbours who don't miss an opportuntiy for a free tip. Really don't know what the answer to this is. I take your point that if you clear it away then the offender will see this as acceptacle behavoiur and re-offend, but in your case with an open day on the horizon, the last thing you want is rubbish on show. Hope you find out who it is and can have a quiet word with them and that te performance is not repeated. Have a good show :)

Thanks Jeanbean.
As you say, we don't want rubbish around when we have our open day on Sunday so someone will remove it before then.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal