Author Topic: Harvest.  (Read 1567 times)

harrys dad

• Not So New ...
Harvest.
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:36:15 »
Had my best harvest of the season today. Potatoes, Baby Carrots, Broad Beans,  lettuce and raddish. Well pleased.  ;D
Mick.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Harvest.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 15:39:53 »
Yum, some of my favourites there  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 15:42:36 »
Sounds good, we're still harvesting strawberries, we're usually done by wimbledon, plus rasps, black, pink and red currants and now blueberries. Lovely time of year, despite the rain  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 19:24:24 »
THat reminds me.... go and harvest some rasps for dinner....

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 19:40:50 »
Can't wait to harvest my blackberries - there are lots of flowers on the plant this year
Debs

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:14:43 »
Can't wait to harvest my blackberries - there are lots of flowers on the plant this year
Debs

it is a good year for lettuce - just as well we have a few experimental lettuces growing.  Spotted an off type last year and planted it well away from the others.  It had characteristics of two types and looking back at the garden notes, the other type was grown immediately adjacent the year before that, so I can be fairly certain of the pollen father variety for this cross.  The crossed plant produced seeds and the seeds have produced a whole range of different looking F2 plants.  I am harvesting these in order of bolting and each one is potentially the start of a new variety.  So far half the bed has started to stretch and develop flowers.  I strip the leaves and just leave the crown with a label and its number.  We are up to 11 so far with the favourite (hubby's choice and will be named after him) still to come.

Now we just need a bit of sunshine for the seed harvest.

Yes the berries have been ok, but not very much flavour, peas are still really nice and plentiful in all this rain and low temperatures.  Potatoes have only been waterlogged for a short time here and so far ok to good.  Garlic and shallots are ok.  The chards are terrific and the beetroots too.

There is always something even in this weather, but we are flexible in what we eat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal