Author Topic: legislation  (Read 3163 times)

bobo

legislation
« on: November 10, 2011, 17:04:46 »
Please can anyone help me i have an allotments quite large and on it i have veg growing chickens and i also have 2 stables for my horses a lot of the other allotments have horse on them and this has been like this for over 30 years but now apparently we have been told that they want the horses off can anyone offer any advice on this matter  :-[
regards bobo

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: legislation
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 17:13:49 »
I can't but is it directly run by council or via allotnent association?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 17:20:13 »
you have veg growing chickens? how clever of them!
seriously though,do you have a tenancy agreement,if so what does it say in there?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 18:07:03 »
If it is a statutory allotment site then you have no right to keep horses... it may have been allowed when there was less demand but only on a yearly ad hoc basis..  :-X

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 18:09:20 »
If they have been doing it for thirty years why suddenlly insist on change??

It seems unfair to me :(

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 18:31:27 »
If it is a statutory allotment site then you have no right to keep horses... it may have been allowed when there was less demand but only on a yearly ad hoc basis..  :-X
There's no statutory right to keep horses, but neither is there a statutory right to prevent horses being kept.

Bobo, can we see the tenancy agreement?  How long have you had your allotment?

Having allowed horses to be kept it might be difficult for the landlord to enforce a new no-horses rule.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

bobo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:42:13 »
Hi thanks to you all for replying it is run by an allotment association and we have no tenancy  or any type of documentation apparently this man is trying to arrange a equine centre but we are in the process of organising a horse society with full insurance etc but this man has big ideas and he has come to us and said that the Borough Council are talking about applying eviction notices but we have not heard this from any other sorce .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:49:39 by OllieC »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 15:31:25 »
Hi thanks to you all for replying it is run by an allotment association and we have no tenancy  or any type of documentation apparently this man is trying to arrange a equine centre but we are in the process of organising a horse society with full insurance etc but this man has big ideas and he has come to us and said that the Borough Council are talking about applying eviction notices but we have not heard this from any other sorce .
Hi Bobo, can you just clarify a couple of things:

1.  What man?
2.  Who is your landlord?  Does the allotment association rent the site from the Borough Council, or do they manage the site on behalf of the Borough Council?
3.  When did you become a tenant?
4. How are you billed for your plot?  Do you pay rent annually on a set date?

If you don't have a written tenancy agreement then you're probably still a tenant, but there are no conditions on the tenancy, most especially no conditions about not being able to keep horses.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 18:19:26 »
I have a a letter sent to all council allotments in Co Durham with the new proposals and rules they intend to introduce in 2012, i have no doubt other councils who have waiting lists will be introducing them also.
They are removing all horses from alotments but are offering alternative grasing for them. Not exactly rocket science to work out that will be two rents they will recieve.

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 20:22:58 »
I have a a letter sent to all council allotments in Co Durham with the new proposals and rules they intend to introduce in 2012, i have no doubt other councils who have waiting lists will be introducing them also.
They are removing all horses from alotments but are offering alternative grasing for them. Not exactly rocket science to work out that will be two rents they will recieve.

However, you do know you have a Common Law right of Pasture. If there is any common land nearby, as long as you or a relative lives in that parish you might be able to claim pasture. You will need to research this to take it any further.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal