Author Topic: Moving a greenhouse  (Read 7320 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Moving a greenhouse
« on: October 02, 2011, 15:50:57 »
I need some advice please.  I have finally persuaded OH we need to move our wee greenhouse to a sunnier and more sheltered location where it will be warmer in winter but he's now saying we need to put down a proper concrete base to make it true square.

I don't want a concrete base so can I have the option of growing some plants in raised beds or pots on soil and I think we can put in 4 vertical posts to which we attach the base panels and frame and thus make the corners true square.

What do you reckon would be best?  It's only 6' by 8' so isn't a major engineering job either way but I want to be prepared so I can get it moved properly over the extended Halloween weekend we get here this year.

Thanks in advance.  Obxx
Obxx - Vendée France

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Moving a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 21:19:03 »
I'd suggest a course of bricks or some sleepers.... though that said I just laid out my 20x10 and leveled the base on a few ground spikes and concreted in the others.... it's survived so far....

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 22:02:13 »
Hi Obbelix... I like the name.  ;D

I'm moving my rooftop GH to the new lottie... going to do a line of cement blocks directly onto leveled bare ground with no cement, so about 9" high to make more height in the GH. Then I can also plant directly into the ground with some tropical veg from Zimbabwe or in tubs etc. So I agree with you that a base is a waste.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:52 »
Thank you both.  I can't see OH wanting to shell out or construct a brick base wall but we could go with a layer of breeze block type bricks settled on concrete.  It would be light, easy and help keep out the rats and voles that munched through all my overwintering ornamental grass seedlings and other treasures last year and also scoffed my first lot of pea and bean sowings.

We're surrounded by arable fields and pastures so there's an endless supply of scavenging rodents.
Obxx - Vendée France

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 16:34:59 »
Hello i always use gravel boards, youknow the concrete panels that fence sits on? You can get really cheap ones that are seconds. Just lay them out to the size you want, sit your greenhouse on and secure to base using rawplugs and screws.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 19:07:35 »
Excellent idea.  Haven't seen any on sale around here but I can always explore and ask around.  Thanks.
Obxx - Vendée France

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 22:04:56 »
How you gone on?

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 22:14:56 »
My 6ft be 8ft greenhouse has been in situ for about 15 years my OH originally laid house bricks as a foundation with 3 x 2 wood which he screwed into them. Over the years the greenhouse has moved and is hanging over the bricks and wood. I think the wind has contributed to this. We will have to dismantle it soon as I feel it is a bit dangerous and could go anytime. The 6 x 6 greenhouse was fitted over a proper metal frame. Ok it cost a bit but it is as solid as when we first erected it 20 years ago.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 22:27:47 »
You do not say whether you greenhouse is metal or wood and what type of glazing it has.

If wood I would recommended a brick or concrete wall to sit on. If metal and glass siting it on paving edges or similar concrete is fine but if glazed with polycarbonate I would suggest something more solid to secure it to because of the lightness of the structure.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:19:08 »
My greenhouse is a metric version of 6' x 8' and is aluminium with glass panes.  I inherited it when one of my garden group members moved home to Washington State when her OH retired from NATO in Brussels.   We set it up in a gravelled work area at the back of the house but it is too cold and shaded.

The move is planned for the Halloween weekend as we'll have 4 days (minus one for golf I expect) as it's a long weekend here with All Saints day on the Tuesday being a national holiday and the banks closing for the Monday.  Its new spot is currently half bed and half grass and faces full south and is sheltered from prevailing winds by a 2m hedge.    

I should be able to start clearing the space and levelling the soil next week and then it's a case of securing the base panels and re-erecting the greenhouse.     I want to be able to plant into borders in summer and store tender plants in pots over winter so definitely don't want a complete concrete base.

OH is still not convinced we don't need concrete so I'll just have to go and check out prices and availability for a course of breeze blocks or gravel boards or maybe just a base of big roofing beams cut to size and fixed in place and then "sell" it to him.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:20:55 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07:34 »
If you go for breeze blocks please check that they are ok for outside use, I think that not all are  :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 18:19:10 »
Good point.   Thanks.
Obxx - Vendée France

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:35:52 »
We put ours on old railway sleepers and just used the spirit level alot to make sure it was all level and O/h did some measuring (I can't remember exactly how)  too make sure the sleepers and greenhouse were square, anyway it must've been because we got all the glass in ok ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:41:50 »
We've used old railway sleepers as retaining walls to make the potager part of our garden flat.  They're excellent for that but a bit lumpy and noweher near as straight and true as modern railway sleepers or the roofing beams we've used to renew the raised bedsso I think, on balance, we'll go with roofing beams, duly protected and stained - and I will do the sawing so we get straight corners!
Obxx - Vendée France

earlybirds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 19:33:58 »
hi has any body moved full panels , have taken glass out , want to take the roof in two , two ends two sides please help.mal.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 21:04:56 »
Hi mal when I moved my 8x6 greenhouse I dismantled it as little as possible.  I took all the glass out, the roof on mine I found was not possible to keep whole so I took off the glazing bars and the ridge beam, unbolted the four corners and left the back front and sides pretty much whole, any loose bars which you will probably have if it is like mine because the diagonal braces in the front and back panels actually bolt to the side panels I taped them to another bar to secure and then put it all on my roof rack.

earlybirds

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 20:44:49 »
thanks for that lottie ,, have broke a few windows when i was given the greenhouse you could not see it for brambles and ivy , would have been cheaper to buy a new one , but now its personal will let you know how i get on ;D

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 21:40:16 »
Mal I know what you mean when you talk about it being personal, the previous owner bless him (no longer with us) had siliconed all the glass in on mine because it was on an exposed site.It took me 2 days and three wire wheels in an electric drill to get it off,and I thought at the time it might have been easier to have bought a new one but its about a sense of achievement isn't it  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:49 »
Since I'm not planning to move our greenhouse ever again I did think about using silicone but, now that it's behind a 6' hedge on the windiest side I've decided against it.   We needed two new panes and I've bought those 5mm wider than the old ones so they're a snug fit and we've used extra spring clips since I needed to buy some new ones and we then had spares.  

I may be tempting providence but so far it has survived a week of stormy weather with strong gusts of wind up to 90kph and driving rain.   Touching wood as I type.

Good luck to anyone else moving a greenhouse.  It's worth taking the time to make sure it's all square and definitely gives a sense of achievement when done.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal