Author Topic: two firsts...  (Read 1442 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
two firsts...
« on: February 14, 2005, 10:03:27 »
I had two gardening firsts at the weekend....

Bought my first plants of the year on Saturday morning - an old fashioned/wild type simple white rose bare rooted (half price), and four raspberry canes (turned out to maybe be five - one had buds on it, but no roots).

Then after lunch Mr Aqui and I spent the whole afternoon working in the garden (the first proper gardening day of the year!) I planted my shallots, did a bit of weeding, lightly pruned the sage, potted up the above purchases, and generally pottered about in a cloud of bliss! While Mr Aqui cleared away old pots and growbags and racked away the slate chippings that were covering the sight of our veg patch extension. When the area was all clear, it looked huge!

I did a bit of test digging, because I'm very impatient to get started. But the clay was so wet, it was far too heavy. I was hoping we might be able to start digging next weekend, but I think we'll both do our backs in! We'll have to see. The spud patch needs to be done by mid March.

Mr Aqui popped in to make us both a cup of tea, while I carried on cutting back a few scruffy periennials. Then it started raining. I just carried on until it got too heavy, so I popped into the shed for a while. Five minutes later it was clear blue sky again! What a crazy weather day!

It felt so good at the end of the day to have to wash my hand several times to get all the mud and compost out of my nails and to feel so knackered, but happy!

I thought spring was on it's way, but then it snowed on Sunday. I was obviously being far too impatient and optimistic!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:59:18 by aquilegia »
gone to pot :D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: two firsts...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 12:00:36 »
Sounds like a perfect day. Just a little taste before the real work starts. So cozy, a warm cup of tea in a lottie shed.

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Re: two firsts...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 13:20:34 »
Hiya Aqui

I looked at the greenhouse frame, then decided to leave it, then looked at the bed preparation, then decided to leave it

Then it rained and the wind got too strong, I had to go in and drink tea all afternoon.

( did manage to do a little weeding tho)

And that was my gardening for the weekend! I must try harder  ;)

Loz

Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal