Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 958 times)

USC

Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: July 03, 2010, 21:38:47 »
Hi Guys,

I've just taken over a plot with an abundance of Jerusalem Artichokes on it already.  They are approx. 4ft tall and I dug one up which seemed ok from the outside but was a bit on the hollow side when split open.

Are these still okay and when should they be harvested?  Please

All advice welcome.

Doug

javahart

• Quarter Acre
    • My veg blog
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 22:45:16 »
Its the roots you want, not the stem! 
Unless you mean the roots were hollow?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 22:55:10 »
I would not worry about what the tubers look like at the moment, you do not harvest them until a lot later when the plant had died back and new tubers have formed.

When the plants have died back, cut the stems down to 1-2ft so you know where they are, and then just dig up any you want during the autumn/winter.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 22:59:55 »
I would love to try Jerusalem Artichokes before I grow them but never see them in the supermarkets. Does anyone know of a supermarket that sells them?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 23:36:43 »
They aren't in season until autumn/winter, so wouldn't be in the shops anyway. I think Waitrose used to do them. Try putting a post in Swap shop here, you may be lucky!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:47:30 »
USC, they should get a lot taller and have lovely sunflower-like flowers soon (they are related to sunflowers), which I've used as cut flowers. When you harvest them,  just replant a few tubers for next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal