Author Topic: is it too late to get some potatoes in?  (Read 2000 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
is it too late to get some potatoes in?
« on: May 06, 2010, 16:14:11 »
Hi everyone, I normally grow 1st & 2nd early spuds plus some salad varieties but due to a knee op I had earlier thia year I didnt buy any seed potatoes as I decided not to grow any. Needless to say I am now really regretting that decision ::)  but I have no idea if it is too late to put some spuds in?
Does anyone know of a good variety that can go in now?
And if so a good place/firm to get them from?
Many thanks for any suggestions  :) 

:(

• Acre
Re: is it too late to get some potatoes in?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 16:37:02 »
You might have to take what you can get this late but if you can get a 2nd early it should crop in 10 to 12 weeks. Id check local places rather than mail order to avoid another delay maybe B&Q, wilkinsons, garden centres, even Tesco had some last week.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 18:11:18 »
Hi there Crystalmoon.
You're not too late - if we have a long mild autumn like last year's you might even get a maincrop harvest. Less risky with earlies though.
If you can't get good seed spuds locally, you might like to have a look at T&M's site.
They sell a range of "Christmas potatoes", seed spuds prepped and cold-stored to plant in high summer (any time up to mid-August)!
No chitting required; with the ground summer-warmed, they go straight in and romp away happily.

The varieties they're offering are Orla, Vivaldi, Carlingford and Maris Peer.

Go to http://www.thompson-morgan.com/ and search on "Christmas potatoes".

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 18:46:19 »
My local Wyevale has still got seed potatoes at half price so it is worth looking around.
I was seriously tempted, but managed to resist ;D

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 19:00:46 »
Hi Triffid thank you so much for the link & great info re Christmas spuds, I really like the sound of them ;D
especially as Im only just getting my plot up & running , they would give me time to prepare the ground for them etc.

Hi Tin Shed, thanks for letting me know about Wyevale, Ive just checked & there is one a short car drive from where I am, I will ring them first to make sure they have some but definitely worth a try, even if I only plant a few & use the Christmas spuds Triffid mentioned as my main crop  ;)

Hi weequinie, thanks for the info on the 2nd earlies still being ok, I usually plant mine out so much earlier than this I just assumed it would be too late for them. My local B&Q, Wilkinson etc seem to get stuff in too early & not enough of anything as they were empty when I looked yesterday. I think its because they are quite small branches. Last year I couldnt get any garden stuff at all at Wilkinson after July, they were clearing shelves for Christmas madness ::)   

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:45:16 »
Really glad when I can help, Crystalmoon.  :)

Another (much cheaper!) possibility, if you have a branch nearby, may be Homebase. I bundled through my local one this morning to see what they'd got in, and they've jumped on the Wyevale bandwagon, selling off seed spuds at half price.
My branch still had Pentland Javelin and Rocket (other varieties too), but both these are 'first earlies' which you can reckon on harvesting 10 weeks or so after planting. Worth a go, maybe, as they're going cheap?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 16:25:43 »
I picked up another 5 small nets from a local diy shop this morning reduced to 25p per net from £2. The only problem is that I have to find space for another 50 odd spud plants now. Going to have to stop making impulse purchases soon I think, space is getting tight.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 19:11:29 »
Poundland still had seed spuds this morning. I might be tempted by some Vale's Emerald (1st early) as I haven't tried it yet. I've planted maincrops in early May, and had a crop. Earlies can go in for some time yet.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 19:24:33 »
I still have two lots here ,chitted and ready to go in but got the lottie later than we were told and been building beds all week, these might be in by the weekend but it the bset I can do, Russian Blue and Ruddian Fingerling XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:10 »
I only put mine in a few days ago (new allotment, not released until May 1st). I asked a similar question, the advice I got from this list was "put 'em in, they'll grow!", so I did. Have to wait and see now!
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:20:27 »
I've only just cleared enough space to but 30 King Edwards(pre chitted) in, over the next couple of days 10 each of International Kidney and Saxo Anona(sp) will be going in.

Hopefuly they will be ok.

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:41 »
Mine bought for the ground finally got in today XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal