Author Topic: getting chickens to bed  (Read 1984 times)

lalilala

• Not So New ...
getting chickens to bed
« on: March 30, 2010, 20:40:08 »
I keep my chickens on my allotment. How can I get them to bed earlier than they would like. Its not too safe, as dusk gets later, for me down there.!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: getting chickens to bed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 23:24:43 »
You could try to temp them in with some treaty bits...and as they tuck in..do the quick exit.. ;)
 mine follow me to the end of earth as long as I have bowl in my hand,,empty not not..

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:16:28 »
I have had this problem with trying to get chickens in early cause I wanted to get out. Tried chucking food in the coop but they then started to walk in and out. I had taken the whole side off the house so they could see the food but it was frustrating. In the end I decided to close it up when I had more than half in the house and then tried herding the rest in. Took me half an hour to herd them in and my wife said that in the end I was as late as normal. So today have installed one of those automatic door openers. It cost just over a £100 including postage but I can sleep in in the mornings and I dont have to worry if I get back late and we can go away for a weekend and the chicks can let themselves in and out.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 18:00:29 »
When we first got our hens we were told that we needed an electric fence due to the amount of foxes in the area.  We live in the countryside but I know in the UK they live in large numbers in urban areas.  We have one that plugs into the main and now also incorporates my childrens rabbit and guinea pig runs.  Two years later they are still ok and they put themselves to bed and get up as and when they choose.

I had a quick look on ebay and they are buy now for £60, the battery ones are much cheaper; about £30.

Just a thought - Allie

lalilala

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 21:13:01 »
Thanks for response. I am going to investigate the automatic pop hole. I too tried the enticing them to bed, total disaster!!

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 23:32:05 »
Several weeks later and I think the automatic door opener is fantastic. I dont have to climb out of bed early and go round to my in laws if I dont feel like it. So I saunter round after breakfast to give the chicks their corn.
My mother in law informs me that they are out before 7 o'clock. I did check at first to make sure they were all going to bed before it closed and they go in 20-30 minutes before it closes. They are getting maximum benefit of the longer days. They spend all day outside from dawn to dusk.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal