Author Topic: Firefox 3.5.8  (Read 2341 times)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
Firefox 3.5.8
« on: February 24, 2010, 14:47:00 »
Until about a week ago I was using Firefox 3.5.5 quite happily, but then my machine auto 'upgraded' it for me.

Since then my machine has really struggled.

Within an hour of installing, Firefox crashed  - twice.  >:( >:(

Regularly now it kills my machine. I have to kill it off and restart, sometimes that doesnot work and I have to reboot the box. >:( >:(

After about an hour of use it just goes into CPU overload, consuming 80-90% of the CPU, no page faults though, so its not a memory issue. If I go and do something else (watching the Olympics) and come back an hour or so later, its still thrashing away.

Its now becoming such a regular feature, I've gone back to IE.  :(

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Firefox 3.5.8
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 15:43:35 »
Try removing, rebooting and then installing the complete 3.6 version.
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6&os=win&lang=en-GB
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 16:19:25 »
I had loads of trouble with firefox.Had a word with my lad(at uni doing computers).Told me to use Google Chrome.So much better.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 16:44:13 »
Just looked at 3.6 and some of my favourite Plug ins will not work with it. 3.5 8 works ok on this machine though.
Gardening is the great leveller.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 18:38:13 »
No problems with 3.5.8.   :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:38:32 »
I generally like firefox and went back to it after trying Chrome and IE 8. However recently it has become dreadfully slow to open up first time and can be slow to load pages. On one computer i have even had it ask me to install updates only to promptly decide the update doesnt work and must be uninstalled again! Sometimes the browser opens only to ask to be restarted, because of faulty add ons or updates.

Becoming slightly disillusioned with it and have decided to try Chrome again with IE8 as a backup.

On a slightly different note, does anyone find that when you have more than one browser on your PC that they can interfere with each other. I have wondered for a long time whether IE somehow interferes or conflicts with Fiefox and that could be why firefox can be slow to load. I sometimes find i have to open IE before firefox will load. Does anyone else find this? Is it better to pick just one browser and have only that one installed on your system?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:03:50 »
Technically you can have many as many browsers as you want and they should all be OK.  Firefox seems to have had a few issues of late but there is no reason why you shouldn't have Chrome, IE, Firefox and Safari if you want..

The only issue is that you have to have one marked as the default browser but once that is done it should be fine..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 16:43:49 »
No problems here with 3.5.8 running in Ubuntu/Linux OS
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal