Author Topic: broken claw  (Read 2026 times)

debster

• Hectare
broken claw
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:39:43 »
Charlie our patterdale cross has managed to break a claw out in the snow today, it looks to have broken right back to the quick as im sure this is what i can see. it is clean and no longer bleeding, in fact if it hadnt been for the snow i wouldnt have seen it
do ineed to do anything to it? its not bothering him at all, will it still be ok to walk him as normal tonight
with parrots you can put cornflour to stop the bleeding if the same happens, is it ok to us it on a dog (not that it needs it at the moment but for future reference)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: broken claw
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:58 »
Ouch!  You could phone the vet for advice, we usually keep wounds clean with saline and keep an eye on it in case it shows signs of infection.
The Tuscan Beaneater

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:53:00 »
Yes you can use flour on dog claws, I have used it often in the past when ours have broken a claw. Hope this helps  :)
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 14:23:32 »
I would leave the dog to keep the claw clean!  He will probably be a bit sore when he goes for his walk and then the soreness will wear off while he is running about and then will hurt a bit every time he gets up.

I would see how he goes.  Most claw breaks are just a question of leaving them alone to heal - (a bit like breaking a nail but down to the quick).

I would keep an eye on it in case it gets infected but most dogs lick the sore part and keep it clean themselves.

Poor chap he will feel a little sorry for himself tho!

Old Bird

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 23:33:21 »
To be honest-theres very little a vet can do when the claw has broken so far back that the quick is exposed.They might want to prescribe (expensive) antibiotics,but quite really they're not required.Dogs immunities are better than ours!

The quick will eventually recede back inside the remainder of claw and he will very likely yelp occasionally when he catches it on carpets for example.When mine have done same it normally takes around a fortnight or so for the quick to dissapear inside and just needs occasional checking to make sure theres no inflamation.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal