Author Topic: When will the chickens lay less?  (Read 1806 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
When will the chickens lay less?
« on: November 24, 2009, 22:34:58 »
Not that im moaning  ;D

We love  having 4-5 eggs off 5 girls. Just thought they would slow down now its getting colder? We seem to be getting more? When we first got them we were getting 2-3 a day. Over the last couplle of days the eggs seem to be getting bigger too couldnt beleive the size of one of them today.

The Ex bats are looking much healther combs are a lovley bright red rather than the pale pink they were when we got them and the feathers are coming back great just in time for winter  ;D

I also am amazed at how much better they taste. Plus its great cracking open a egg with a bright sunshine yellow yolk.

Lucy x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: When will the chickens lay less?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:40:19 »
we had lots of eggs all through last winter from our ex batts, we had 18, don't know if they think they've had a moult 'cos all their feathers were already off  ;D
this year, we have 13 left and are only getting 5 per day and they're moulting now  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:12:19 »
How lucky you are Mummybunny.  I haven't had any eggs since the beginning of September buy then my 6 girls are getting on a bit.   

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 19:24:03 »
They might lay all through the winter, my mate had 6 chickens a couple of years ago and they layed 6 everyday even in the winter. Ive got 4 chickens and getting 4 everyday and the odd egg is massive. Mine are goldlines, great layers

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 19:28:41 »
 ;D poor girls just growing back feathers to lose them again when they moult  :P Didn't even realize they do! Oh well will wait for the feathers now at least i wont panic that there is something wrong when i find feathers all over the place  ;D ;D ;D Hope the eggs do keep coming  :o

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 22:06:35 »
i slow down my hens egg laying over winter to help them get through the damp dark days , i give them a 60/40 mix corn and breeders plus a few spoons of c.l.o and lime flour mixed in .

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal