Author Topic: Is it OK to plant shallots now?  (Read 2130 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Is it OK to plant shallots now?
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:16:36 »
Help! My shallots have arrived from King's Seeds. I don't normally plant them until the spring, but I'm not sure they'll last till then. I don't want them sprouting and going soft on me. OH suggests leaving them in the shed over winter, but I think that might be a bit damp.

The spot I'm going to plant them in is ready to go. Can I plant them out now? After all, the garlic & over-wintered onions are already in and doing nicely.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Is it OK to plant shallots now?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:23 »
some say the shortest day, we've just put ours in  :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:48 »
Joy Larkcom's advice is: "Generally plant as early as possible: early/mid-winter in mild areas, otherwise late winter/early spring. Some cvs, e.g. Sante, only suitable for late spring planting.(Follow supplier's directions for appropriate planting time.)" Marshalls recommend September to December planting.

I had the same problem as you so I planted yesterday. If need be I'll protect them with cloches over winter.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:23 »
http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=756

http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/gardening/shallot.htm

It also depends upon variety - eg Sante should NOT be winter planted.

Keeping? If they are firm, healthy & dry, of course they'll keep.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:25:10 »
Being subject to occasional bouts of idiocy, we bought a bag of shallots from a market stall in the Loire recently.  The variety was described as "Genevieve", but I can't find them on any catalogues.  They look a bit like Griselle.  Anyway, they've been planted now, so we shall see what, if anything, comes of them.   ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:51:25 »
until the spring, but I'm not sure they'll last till then

They will if you keep them cool and in particular dry.

How do you think I go on ? I save next seasons crop from the previous seasons harvest, which is basically the same as 'bought ones'

I think the difference is; you don't know how bought ones have been stored up until you buy them.

I just leave my bulbs in a string bag in the greenhouse or garage where I am am sure they are dry and it is quite airy!

This year I planted out 10th April and harvested at the end of June so next years stock will have been stored in the described manner for around 9-10 months!

I hope that helps!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 13:08:16 »
Thanks for the advice. (Even if - in the best A4A tradition - I've ended up with several different answers!)

Sounds like a trial coming on - half sown this weekend, half stored in the shed till next spring.

And thanks, Tee Gee - perhaps I'll use some of my own as well. I had a bumper harvest this year.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 13:32:37 »
now I'm sorry to be a dimwit here but if you are saving shallots from this year to plant next year so you get more than one shallot per planted one or do you plant one shallot to get one shallot? I've only ever grown onions before...  :-\

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 13:41:00 »
with most onions you plant a little onion (set) which grows into a larger onion. with shallots your set will split into a bunch of half a dozen or so shallots.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 18:30:32 »
I put mine in about March, some of the shallots I had this year had 12 to 15 in the cluster, I prefer the 4 and 5's as you get a bigger shallot, less peeling.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 21:25:49 »
Mine went in a just over a week ago along with overwintering onions and the garlic

This is May last year (having planted my shallots about the same time last year)

(only a 3'er  ;)) most were 4 and five per plant but not that big.

Drying in the greenhouse in the corner most of the summer (the hanging ones had started to divide so as per Tonybloke's tip some of those will be going in the plot next week)

And the most important bit  :)

Just pickled ready for Crimble

This harvest was grown with cattle manure incorporated into the soil as I try and alternate between the two - horse and cattle.

Ninny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal