Author Topic: Should I take the plunge?  (Read 2245 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Should I take the plunge?
« on: August 21, 2009, 13:49:23 »
Have never been lucky enough to have either a greenhouse or a polytunnel, so completely new to this type of growing. Am seriously tempted to get a polytunnel for my plot although I only have a 1/2 size plot so not got loads of room. Started off thinking I'd get the smallest, but reading up the advice seems to be get the biggest you can....... do folks agree? Will have to get the tape measure out! The main thing that worries me is ventilation - I go to my plot 3/4 times a week but don't want to go every day. How often do they need attention? Any tips welcomed.
Many thanks
Anne

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Should I take the plunge?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 13:51:20 »
Most polys have vent mesh on the doors at either end so you don't need to be there everyday. Some even have mesh sides up to about waist height...  :)

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 22:56:26 »
Hi

I bought a polytunnel for my plot over a year ago and it is one of the best things I ever did. I have had it permanenetly filled with crops the whole time. Besides the ususal toms,cucumbers etc peppers and chillis actually go red ! I grew winter onions in there last year and had the biggest onions I`ve ever had. I plant baby turnips at this time of year along with winter caulis and get them for xmas along with xmas pots that I put in now. You get an extra 6 weeks before the season starts and an extra 6 weeks at the end. The other joy is, in the winter when you get a few hours spare and its raining you can still go to your plot  and work in the poly.
Well worth every penny.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:47 »
Many thanks Fuchsia that is really helpful.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 22:23:39 »
this is the inside of ours in june  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal