Author Topic: chicken comb has turned dark red  (Read 4776 times)

chickenlegs

• Not So New ...
  • Smile! make them wonder what your up to:-)
chicken comb has turned dark red
« on: July 06, 2009, 13:24:48 »
Hi, one of my lovely chooks has had 1 day sitting in the shade and her comb has changed colour, she really was not too happy maybe the heat we thought. 1 of 8 they have uptil now been very happy and producing perfectly. But today we have only 4 eggs they normally do thier laying before lunch... U know us girls like to get stuff out of the way  ;D So would it be just time out? She is eating and since her off day is back involved. I have looked everywhere for some info but it all looks conflicting, maybe someone could just suggest some reading matter for me not Bluebell  ::) We have not mastered that yet!!

Thanks in advance CL
The goal in life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,

but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.

"Holy smoke! what a ride".

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: chicken comb has turned dark red
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:03:19 »
normaly we say dark red comb is ready to lay, but it has been hot and perhaps got a touch of the sun. In the USA some states put suntan cream on hens combs? yes sounds strange to us I know.
If a hen is unwell the comb gets paler like lice, mites needs worming even comming into a moult or a blue tinge is a heart problem.
If she is eating and drinking now she will be fine, may be just one of those things a off day and the heat. My main girls have a open water dish and will walk through the water to cool off lettuce is good to help them cool off but the other end it comes out black runs ( the iron in it) you have been warned ha ha.
I used a old net curtain to try and stop the midday sun on my younsters but the heat even in a open pen was bad for them with no air movement at all  so it could have been just the heat she could not cope with.
I like the web site www.pekinbantums.com they have very good medical tips try that. 

chickenlegs

• Not So New ...
  • Smile! make them wonder what your up to:-)
Re: chicken comb has turned dark red
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 13:48:47 »
Thanks for the info and web site Ill take a look :-)
The goal in life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,

but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.

"Holy smoke! what a ride".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal