Author Topic: Blue tits hatching?  (Read 2334 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
Blue tits hatching?
« on: May 09, 2009, 18:33:22 »
Hi all,

I would just like to say, that the nesting box on my number one plot is
definately being used by a pair of blue tits  ;D ;D

All week, mr has been glaring at me from his spot on the dog rose whilst he announces his arrival close to the nesting box and when he thinks I`m not watching he dashes to the apple tree about two metres in front of the box, and from there having checked its safe he pops home.
This morning he was arriving about every twenty minutes with a tasty morsel, announcing his arrival and flitting across the top of the shed towards the box. I though if he`s feeding his missus this slowly she`s gong to starve so after my coffee I went up onto the top plot to give him some space.

Later, having earned a short break I went back down to plot number one for coffee on the patio, This time I saw mr and mrs come out togther and now they were dashing backwards and forwards together. Still announcing their arrival but much less hesitant than earlier.

Do you think they hatched a brood today?
Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: Blue tits hatching?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 21:08:10 »
could have done. ours hatched this morning - they looked drunk to start with and spent a lot of time upside down, they're the right way up now - 2 eggs left but i think they may not hatch.

(we have a camera in a box at home)

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:04:50 »
Thanks legless,  :) I am trying to work out whats happpening without disturbing the birds I only realised today that there are two adult birds going in and out. Do the chicks make any noise ?

Col

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 21:38:38 »
We have had blue tits nest with us for the last few years and its really easy to know when the eggs have hatched as when the parents return with food you can hear them all appealing for the offerings...so cute.

I love to watch them fledge, however unfortunately I was away on holiday last week when this years brood  hatched so have no idea as to what age they are now, so am keeping a close eye, we got some fabulous video and pictures of them last year on their first flight, the look on their faces when they had no idea what to do next was just so cute :)

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 21:50:36 »
awwwwwwww that is so gorgeous

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 22:21:43 »
I remember your babies last year Honeybee, they hatched around the same time as mine, we were so proud  ;D  ;D

Sadly they didn't use my box this year but will make a new one for next year.

Hope all yours survive this year, keep us updated.

Gorgeous photo.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 23:31:34 »
   I saw a brood of 5 out and flying round with parents 2 days ago. That's in Devon.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 23:33:50 »
Sinbad we have some right posh residences dotted around the garden but they always prefer an old bit box hubby used that he got from work from work, he gave it a sloping roof and stuck a hole and perch on it and voila, to the blue tits its a palace  ;D

Yes I remember our families hatching at similar times, hopefully next year they will be back for you  :)

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 07:01:39 »
Thanks all,  :)

On wednesday I could hear the chicks as I passed by the box.
How old are they when they first come out of the box?

I also have a nest in another box on my top plot, but its set a long
way back in the trees behind the shed, so its more private for the birds.

Col

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 23:39:56 »
"Ours", have fledged and flown along with the Greenfinches(3),Blackbirds(2 at least),Coal Tits(3) and Sparrows(numerous!!). Visits today from G/spotted woodpecker,Siskins(a group of 8 who seem to like the garden and have been here for 3 weks now) and our resident Goldcrests.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:20:53 »
All but one of ours fledged early on Friday evening and the remaining one fledged yesterday morning, they were just so minute, and so cute. T

The poor little things couldn't even fly, Mum fussed around them a lot, so hopefully they got the idea in the end, I cant help but worry if they are ok though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal