Author Topic: Rats  (Read 6513 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rats
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 19:58:00 »
I quite like tongue; it has meat, not just gristle!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 20:09:09 »
how on earth did we get from rats to tongue  ;D
we've just bought a rat trap, found a run in the compost heap  :-\

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 16:30:20 »
Sorry Manicscousers that was me...I can connect up the strangest things....it was the thought of eating rats that did it. I've probably eaten rat, a posh Chinese restaurant in NZ that I ate at occasionally was found to be serving up cats and dogs...probably also rats (peoples pets were disappearing!) in place of chicken......chicken was very expensive in NZ at the time.
The polynesian rat was introduced by the Maori as a food source when they immigrated to NZ, replaced later by Captain Cook's pigs.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 16:51:10 »
A guy on my site had 10 (yes, bloomin 10) in his feed bin in one night, he took a photo it was disgusting. he killed 4 more as i stood there. I couldnt believe it I thought he was making it up until I saw it, OMG.

They are truly disgusting creatures. but I am such a wuss. I freak out when i hit a pheasant by accident. I cant kill anything. Going to have to soon though as i now notice my chicken feed is going quickly and there is what appears to be a rat run down the side of my chickens. Horrible things.

I have done what i can to try and disuade (?) them, no food about, raised up coop etc etc. but they have come. i dont like the idea of traps or poison. Other things can get caught in them, my neighbour caught a bird in his, and if anyones cat got caught i would not forgive myself. i just hope the man upstairs dont mind too much when i am forced to take out Mr Rat.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 17:03:48 »
Rats are just dirty *fatherless children* get rid of the srekufc,

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 19:15:36 »
I am starting to get used to the killing now!! 43 rats in under 3 weeks of laying traps! its crazy how many are about and i hardly noticed.  I opened my shed the other day and one ran out straight over my foot - My dog caught it - she's a lab and made short work of it cos she shook it for a second and then just dropped it dead - it was propably more humane then the traps. 

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 11:34:11 »
a hole appeared inside on the floor of my compost bin a couple of weeks after emptying it around mid august there were what appeared to be rat dropping and my neighbour agreed with me. so i got some poisen and put it in the bin.

it sat there for weeks with nothing taken, then early September all the poison was taken, so i put some more in the tray and that was taken too. a third lot was put out and nothing was taken so i assumed the rat was dead.

then about three weeks ago the poison disappeared again, so i put some more and that disappeared. didn't get round to topping it up again and yesterday there were two large runs one in each side of my compost bins ( i have one of the wooden slat together bins) see the link:

http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/images/D/twin-composter.jpg

i hope the dumb thing hasn't chewed through the wood separating the bins i would be most pissed. anyway on my discovery i put some more poison bait down, and since the packet is almost finish I'll have to get some more.

how long does it take to get this under controll using poison?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 16:25:33 »
You killed the first rat, then after a bit another moved in. There are always more out there.

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 20:36:36 »
yes you have a point but this is the third year of my bins no problems before,  anyway ho hum :-\.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 21:10:24 »
try not to put any meat or grain products in (bread/flour)in, just veg matter, they'll soon go and look somewhere else!
You couldn't make it up!

thifasmom

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2008, 21:17:57 »
being vegan no animal products go into our bin, nor cooked scraps, and any bread type scraps are stored in a basket in the kitchen then tossed out to the birds in small enough quantities to be finished before night fall, plus the bird feeding station is about 100ft away from the compost bins.

went and checked the bin again today still signs of a run but the entrance hole hasn't changed for a few days so maybe its dead or gone lots of rat poo though :-X, so i will need to remove it as the side its done all its droppings on is the cooked compost side which has to be used in the spring :-X :-\.

will be getting yet more poison this week, will see if its taken. if this fails we will have to get a trap.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 21:21:05 »
A friend of mine has pet rats, they're lovely creatures, highly intelligent  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 21:22:57 »
pretty sure a rat's in residence in my new dalek & I asked on the ferreting thread if ferret poo would be a deterrant - anyone know? I met someone last night who's got 4 ferrets as pets, so if it might work I've got good access to loads 8)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2008, 09:27:04 »
I dont know about a deterrent for rats, but it does work with rabbits. You wont lose anything by trying, but if you dont see the blighters anyway it may be hard to tell if its working or not ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2008, 11:02:58 »
I'll know, oh yes I'll know >:(....something to do with the tunnelling under the dalek holes which I keep stamping down and keep reappearing? :-\

Ferrets were once used on ships as rat control, hence my question whether the scent of rat droppings (quite pungent I believe ::)) might spark off some awareness for them that Ferrits Iz Bad News - and bugga orf :D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2008, 11:37:02 »
It's worth a try, Hyacinth

I've got mesh under my dalek, no holes underneath but the tunnelling and mixing of contents inside indicates a rat he been in (based on past experience). ???

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 14:11:51 »
When I get round to sorting Kea, I'll get round to meshing it as well.....3 thicknesses of wire mesh-on-a-roll from Wilkos be OK do you think? Won't the rats makes short work of gnawing through it tho?

mark45

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 14:31:25 »
i soon kill a rat no problem.if oneday you see what they do to one of your birds as i did then you to will be like me and kill a rat just as soon as i see one no prob.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal