Author Topic: meadow seed mix  (Read 4747 times)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: meadow seed mix
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 10:14:54 »
four foot square wouldn't fit one of each of the above plants on it. Yes all those MIGHT appear together in a field, but spread over several acres. as an example, lawns are seeded at approx 35 grammes per sq metre, wild flower meadow, 2 gr per sq metre. just scatter what you've got, after removing the turf (this will lower nutrient levels and give the annuals a chance against the grass, rgds, tony

Hi Tony thanks for the suggestion, i know the size isn't ideal but the area is free of turf and has been under cover for about a year so most of the weed seeds have been killed off.

i plan to lightly fork over the soil, mix the seeds in with compost and a little grass seeds and sieve it over the whole area. then i will cover with fleece/ clear plastic more to stop the birds eating my seeds or squirrels digging it all up ::).

then hopefully in the spring i will start to see the birth of a mini meadow ;D that will hopefully attract butterflies, bees, hoverflies, grasshoppers, grass loving ladybirds and many other little beasties.

once i have all the seeds i think i can collect etc I'll start my little experiment. I'll take photos of each stage and i will duly post it either here or in the wildlife section. so everyone can see if this is a doable project for small gardens or if it will be a flop :-\.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: meadow seed mix
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 13:58:38 »
Thifasmom the poppy seeds went in the post today. If you want more let me know. There's two other non meadow seed items as well to use or swap as you wish. xx

Hi flighty the seeds have arrived thanks again, i've PM'd you (sorry for it being so long :-[).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal