Author Topic: Anyone started a school garden club/alootment?  (Read 1163 times)

Angelah

• Not So New ...
Anyone started a school garden club/alootment?
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:44:16 »
I'm currently looking into suggesting this for our local primary school and wondered if anyone else had tried doing something similar? DId it work? Any tips would be great!!!

I have started by looking at the Garden Organic schools section, and the edible playground site, so I can see what can be achieved, some 'real' comments would help. I have some friends who think I'm mad to even think about doing it!!!

Thanks,
Angela

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Anyone started a school garden club/alootment?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 12:01:00 »
Coincidence..the school where 2 of my young Granddaughters attend are just about to do the same.It has been thought up by one of the teachers helpers.  Can't say how it will work out at this stage,but will be nice to hear how you go.
Already Georgie of A4A has given the school a good start and a  local Garden Centre has promised some compost.
My daughter is Chairman(person?) of the PTA committee and will keep me informed at each stage.
Good luck.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 16:00:13 »
I thought a number of people here were involved in gardening for schools but a search only brought up the following thread:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,28174.0.html

I think it's a fantastic idea, Angela, and good luck with it.  Please let us know how your plans proceed and I'm sure if you need seeds come spring, many people here will be happy to pass on their spares.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 21:41:08 »
hi Angelah
our garden club has been running for just over a year now
what do you want to know?
pm me
lbb

Angelah

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 20:08:08 »
Thanks for the replies.

Well I put a few feelers out - it seems it has been mentioned before and they are aware of sources of help to do it etc, but they don't seem keen atm - they have other priorities this year apparently. So that might have to wait a bit. I've just discovered that my son's teacher runs an environmental club, so will be offering to help out in class soon, to see if she's more willing!!!

But I am more involved with our pre-school, so will start off with them maybe, though everything will have to be grown in pots as we've just had the playarea resurfaced.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal