Author Topic: goji berries  (Read 1305 times)

debster

• Hectare
goji berries
« on: September 29, 2008, 15:19:06 »
I have some goji berry seeds does anyone know if i could start them off indorrs over the winter?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: goji berries
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 15:26:37 »
Not sure hun, I started some in spring this year. They may suffer from lack of light though winter. But Im no expert.

It may be easier to keep them growing at a steady rate if you wait till spring. Or try a few now and some later and judge the best method ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 17:46:37 »
ok im not certain how big they get and how big they have to be to produce berries so wondered if i waited til the winter and got them started would they have a head start  ;D

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 18:24:35 »
watching with interest, i have some seeds as well :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 19:45:28 »
Help.. I found a packet marked goji berries in the leftovers from a a seed swap when parceling up seeds last week. I kept them out of curiosity but they are sticky..not smelly or anything but they look like they may be  squashed fruit.

What do I do with them please...

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 15:33:53 »
I started off some goji plants in May: simply cut open the dried berries you buy in health shops, scraped out a few seeds (sticky, but tiny) and put them in pots. I kept them well watered and ended up with about 10 shoots (took a couple of weeks to appear).
They were fine and developed leaves by June. Then left them in partner's care whilst visiting family. After 3 weeks they had gone ballistic and half of the plants were 4 feet long, limp, and quite unhappy. Cut some down, and put on veranda. Cut some others (very straggly) down and left on windowsill.
So far, I have 2 long, slightly straggly plants with only 2 thin branches in pots on the veranda. 3 plants died in the ground (we had night frosts already) and 2 are doing alright on the windowsill - just nothing to look at. I hope they make it through the winter, and will cut down any thin branches, as that seems to encourage more strength. Next year I am hoping to put them all out on the lottie. Apparently they will be frost-hardy in their second year.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 15:34:08 »
well if its any help goji berries are usually sold dried and eaten that way, i guess if you wanted the seeds it would be easiest to allow the fruit to dry out properly, not too sure really as mine are just the tiny black seeds lol  ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 23:06:02 »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 20:17:17 »
I have a packet of seeds, the packet claims you can start them any time ina heated propagator then keep them indoors until good weather. Actually the packet says they shouldn't be planted out until their second spring.

I'm tempted by the British grown plants available from victoriana myself.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 23:38:38 »
I bought mine as very young plants, They've survived outside over winter (in central London, mind) without any problems in pots. I'd start some off in a propagator and keep the rest by for a second sowing later.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal