Author Topic: Squash variety for the North?  (Read 1491 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Squash variety for the North?
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:05:49 »
Having failed with butternuts this year, is there a hardier variety I could try next year?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Squash variety for the North?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 14:25:45 »
we grew some saved squash seeds, got a fantastic crop, when we eat one, if it's worth having for the taste, I'll let you know..I still have some seed, also, grew potimarron, courtesy of someone on here, taste between chestnut and squash..I'll be eating one on monday, again, I have spare seeds, if you'd like some  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 16:29:52 »
ooh,yes,please-sounds yummy! Will send you a pm.
Got a packet of "Winter festival"for 50p at Wyevale today. (not much left)  Anyone know if they're any good?

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 22:53:38 »
Butternuts have unfortunately been mostly derived from Cucurbita moschata, which prefers hotter summers than are routinely likely for much of the UK. Therefore, even though new varieties, specially bred for the UK climate, are becoming available, it is still extremely difficult to grow mature, hardened-off butternuts in the North of the UK.
In Glasgow, I have been trialing the UK bred Butternuts this Summer, both under Lidl cloches and in the open. The ones in the open have no fruit. The ones under the cloches will each mature several Butternuts. It is amazing what a difference a bit of protection will do even in a cool, wet, Summer.
It is much easier to grow the smaller Pumpkin type of Winter Squash as they have been derived from Curbita Maxima and will produce fruit at lower temperatures. Winter Festival is a good variety.
For growing information and details of other varieties, see this page of my web site. http://www.growyourown.info/page127.html
All the varieties mentioned on this page, have already produced hardened-off fruit for me this year in the open.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 00:00:40 »
great website realfood, very clear and concise information.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 02:51:37 »
Caroline, Butternuts are not anymore of a problem here than any other winter squash, nor are the other families.

Bear in mind it has been exactly the wrong weather for squash this year and that has had it's impact on your crop.

I grow many varieties as you know, butternuts are an easy one to grow but I grow some that have a much longer maturity time than those without any bother, in fact I haven't found one yet that I haven't been able to mature.

Personally I don't grow butternuts to eat, only for decoration as there are so many that taste better.

I wouldn't stop with your butternuts if that is what you like, I am quite close to you so you should have no bother,

Before next season I am going to put some growing tips on for everyone as there is much you can do here in the UK  to get a good season.

So don't chuck your seeds yet.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:10 »
Thanks, everyone.Sounds like that's 50p well spent, but I will try again with the butternut next year!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:57:14 »
I have grown Potimarron successfully in Edinburgh so I think you'd be safe with that too. Not the largest of squashes but very tasty.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 15:34:42 »
this is our potimarron this year  :)
also spaghetti squash, under cover

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 00:11:35 »
I had most success up here in Glasgow with a small prolific squash called zephyr from Fothergills, also Crown Prince and Black Futsu which looks and tastes superb.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal