Author Topic: Can Pumpkins be grown in the same patch of ground each year ?  (Read 4271 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Can they ?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Can Pumpkins be grown in the same patch of ground each year ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:29:41 »
As I grow quite a lot of winter squash and pumpkins I tend to rotate them - can't do a long rotation as that would take quite a bit of ground. So of the six beds on lottie 2 (1.2m x 8m) each year 2 are devoted to squash, and other crops following normal rotation in other years.

I am not sure whether this is necessary or not, but happier that pests/disease may be deterred if the crop moves arund. In terms of nutrients you have to put that much manure and feed down each year i don't think they would ever run out even if they were grown in the same place.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:44:40 »
I read an article about a pumpkin farm in Norfolk - they grow tonnes of squash, and always on the same ground... I remember being a bit surprised but it works for them.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 12:54:47 »
I read an article about a pumpkin farm in Norfolk - they grow tonnes of squash, and always on the same ground... I remember being a bit surprised but it works for them.

I wonder if they "sterilize" the ground in some way to enable them to grow the same crop in the same place year after year?
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 13:26:51 »
Squash's main pests aren't viable in the UK yet... my only concern would be with general fertility.. a large dose of manure (uncontaminated) should make it possible to keep growing them on the same plot..  :-\

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 13:45:42 »
Yes, I remember they did that too saddad. IIRC it was in the RHS magazine...

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 15:04:12 »
Thanks for your answers!! I have large patch of ground on the allotment that seems perfect for pumpkins and now having seen how much space pumpkins take up I reckon I would just about be able to fit one plant into a 10x4 bed raised bed and I am not sure I want use a raised bed for just one pumpkin. So I was hoping it would be okay to keep growing in the same area.

Duke

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 16:28:10 »
Duke (or should that be duchess?) pumkins are good in areas where they can run a bit wild (hence why I am growing them in a 3 sisters bed so they just run over the feet of the beans and corn and the flowerbeds next to them. A variety that makes rather long vines can be good running along a path edge or in a tricky spot. They are not to bothered about being in a highly cultivated spot as long as there is plenty of food for them. On a mucky pile in a corner of a grassy patch and they are quite happy (if you just want a few eaters in any case). That is based on my observations at least.
Good luck! love growing pumpkins, they are so cute and grow so fast!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 17:17:55 »
I rotate mine, simply because I rotate other crops, and don't always have space for them in the same place! I don't see any reason why they shouldn't thrive in the same place year after year.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 17:25:26 »
I grow mine in the same places which includes the top of the compost bins  ;D I just top up with a big dollop of manure beforehand

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 19:10:37 »
I have used the same area year after year for 7 years.My pumpkin patch is  a full lottie as I tend to grow a great many varieties and in order to be able to do this I have to have  a large area just for this purpose without raised beds or  any bushes etc hindering me. All my other stuff is  on the second lottie.Apart from being  regularly manured and cuyltivated I do nothing else with it. . I rarely grow anything else on this piece of land.Prior to this lottie when I lived overseas I had the same set up which I used for about 15 years. I have never had any problems associated with not rotating .

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 22:50:46 »
wow :o i would love to see a photo of your squash growing Jeannine.

Duke

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 00:24:08 »
Duke, I would love you to too but it is pretty wildly known that due to a health difficulty our lotties are under plastic wrap for this year only,so I am mini gardening at home with small raised beds, happy to oblige next season , meantime if I can  help with info etc I will be happy to do that too.

They are very special to me and I feel quite weird this year!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal