Author Topic: My Onions  (Read 2290 times)

lawrence

• Not So New ...
My Onions
« on: June 24, 2008, 15:39:59 »
Hi,
My onions have white tip, they are shallotts, red and white onions, spring onions, and leeks, i first noticed 5-6 days ago and the fugai looks well established on all our local allotments.

we recently added a large ammount of manure so was wondering if it could of come from this?

does anyone have any ideally herbal remedies to cure this/hold it off next season or chemical cures (not preffered) and where can i get these? also some knowlege of the disease and where it comes from would help aswell.

your help would be appreciated.

thanx, lawrence

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: My Onions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 15:48:01 »
hi, lawrence, welcome to the site, sorry can't help with your query but someone who knows their onions will be along soon  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 16:06:29 »
Pretty normal this providing they have started swelling.

It the first sign of 'die back' and generally appears as the bulbs swell and the leaves have done their job.

lawrence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 13:33:02 »
Hi Tee gee

Thankyou for your quick responce re: my onions but this sure looks like white tip to me, Ive been growing now for 6/7 years and my onoins have never looked so poorley so early on in the growing calender. I'm sure you have many years on me and i thankyou for your support. I have just harvested my earlys and they were how you described ( coming to the end of there growing life) Nice fat tubers with dead or dieing leaves. So this year hasn't been a complete disaster re: onions and garlic for that matter. I'm going to leave my main onion and shallotts crop in and see how they develop no matter what the outcome. If your interested i will keep you posted and maybe get a photo or two of the desease in action.
Thanks again......Lawrence Wales

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 14:41:18 »
white tip this is a new one on me ???

I googled it and can't find any mention of it.

A picture would be handy!

I hope it is not the first signs of 'downy mildew'

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 14:47:29 »
In my Vegetable Expert book it recommends spraying with something called Mancozeb as soon as you see it and dont grow any the following year on affected land. :(

Just found out that Mancozeb is the active ingredient in a product called Dithane 945 which you can buy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 14:50:01 by vegmandan »

-------------------------------------------
I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 14:48:43 »

vegmandan

• Half Acre
    • My Allotment Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 14:52:31 »
White tip affects the tips of the leaves and they turn white and papery where as white rot affects the base of the bulb and appears as fluffy white mould and the leaves turn yellow rather than white.

Just so you know what you've got. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 14:54:37 by vegmandan »

I will grow a 10lb Onion if it kills me !

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 16:16:42 »
Hi Lawrence... hope that lot helped and welcome to the site
 :)

lawrence

• Not So New ...
Re: My Onions/now chickens
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:57:47 »
Thanx for all your help RE: my onions, I will try diathane 945 im sure i have some knocking around somwhere. It will surprise the ole lady next year when the back garden is coverd in onions rather than the usual flowers HE HE cant wait for next season now.
OOh i have nearly finished the chicken coupe and hope to have a few chucks scratching around in the coming weeks. I have heard that poultry manure is to strong for the garden strait from the source so to speak. Should i put it in the compost/ or dry it out first?? "Anyone"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal