Author Topic: Sprouting seeds. for eating the sprouts..  (Read 4193 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Sprouting seeds. for eating the sprouts..
« on: August 04, 2007, 17:50:16 »
Now don't be getting on at me if this is the wrong place,I was not sure wether here or recipes.!!

Anyway, I haven't bothered because of the season and waiting for the summer glut.. LOL

So, I am turning to my spouting seeds for a harvest.

I have done mung beans and alfalfa for years but have branched out a bit and am trying some new ones. I bought loads in the T&M sale.(their sprouter is rubbish by the way, I bought it to replace mine which had got broken..big mistake)

Apart from in sandwiches and mungs in stir fry, does anyone have any special advice re growing them or using them.

I am determined to harvest something this year!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
Re: Sprouting seeds. for eating the sprouts..
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 18:23:12 »
I have only ever sprouted for my parrot they adore them and they are very good for them though have only used a dish or jar cos sprouters very expensive i can tell you what is in the ones i use for him pretty sure they are all human grade i will let you know asap going hunting

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 18:29:56 »
ok here goes alfafa, buck wheat, cabbage, clover, fenugreek, garlic,mustard, radish, sunflower and wheat grass, adzuki, barley, chickpea, lentil, kamut, mung, groats, peas, quinoa and wheat
http://www.happyjuicer.com/wheatgrass/sprouting-overview.asp
some info here on this site

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 19:39:19 »
Moles Seeds have a good range of seeds to sprout.

The only reservations I would have is beetroot.  I treated them like alfalfa.   When they had started sprouting, rinsed them to get the seed cases off.  Not many of the seed cases came away, and when eating the sprouts, it was like chewing coarse grit - dreadful!!

I think they would be better treated like mustard cress, and trimmed with scissors when they have grown an inch or two.

I have bought, and sprouted, alfalfa, fenugreek, leeks, mung bean, mustard white, onion, radish daikon and red cabbage.

I'm beginning to think it is a better way of producing salad greens.  You don't get slugs in your indoor sprouter!!

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 21:19:47 »
hi again, this  what I have.
Alfalfa
Mung
Fenugreek
Assorted Brassicas
Curled cress
Mustard
Basil
White mustard
Adzuki bean
Beet
Onion
Rocket
Radish
Red sango radish
Chickpea
Sunflower
Lentils
Red Cabbage
Broccolli
Daikon radish

Before I start, apart from the beet, are any others not worth doing.

Does anyone have  a realy good sprouter they use the way one that has about 6 good szed trays.

Has anyone sprouted lettuce.

Thank you Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 14:00:46 »
don't know if this would appeal to you, Jeannine
in Kitchen garden mag for september, they are growing crops on a miniscule scale
they grow seedlings in shallow compost on benches, 2 cms between each one, the seedlings stretch and you cut them to eat
the range is amazing, lovage, red cabbage, red mustard, mizuna, fennel, peas, oxalis, mesembryanthemum, amarant, rocket, turnip tos, lettuce, beet leaves and spinach,
theyre all grown like mustard and cress, apparently, the taste is fantastic
might have a 'do' at this myself, the amount of old seed I've got, i may as well try it  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 14:11:52 »
This sounds like my salad patch that I grow throughout the winter but I have only ever grown lettuces , radishes and such, it might be an easy way to use up  other seeds and harvest them for stir fries.. thanks Manics,, great idea, I am going to do that right now. XX Jeannine

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 17:10:33 »
Jeannine, brown and green lentils are delicious too, thanks for reminding me to get some on the go!  ;)

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:55:58 »
Howdy!

There is actually very little that you cant sprout in your sprouter.
This year I have even used it to sprout my beans, Runner and French Dwarfs.

RE the edible seeds, go to your local health food store and check there. They will most definatly have a good selection (and if they dont, they can order them in, A.Vogel is a good brand)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 12:27:49 »
 Actually I have a good selection . One point which should be mentioned here though,if you are sprouting your regular garden seeds to eat rather than plant. PLEASE don't sprout any treated seeds as they are toxic.

It is very easy to pick them out though as they are dyed a brilliant colour, you couldn't miss it. I have some dyed Shocking Pink, some Brilliant Green and some Bright Blue.

XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 18:00:23 »
Ah, that explains why the batman pumpkins were pink. I thought that was natural :-[

cj :)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 00:33:43 »
Jeannine,

Apart from in sandwiches and mungs in stir fry, does anyone have any special advice re growing them or using them.

Apart from just eating them raw of course, you can sprinkle them - particularly the hotter, spicier sprouts - on top of other dishes to add a little pizzazz. Mix them into salads, or add a handful to soup or even stock. Try the radish or mustard sprouts on mashed potato. Dee-LISH!

;D

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

margyf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:42 »
Hi

Fantastic topic.

I have just bought a load of unusual sprouting seeds.

Any idea which is the best method for example which sprouters are good.

:)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 11:15:40 »
that has just given me a brilliant idea as to how I can use up all of last year's sunflower seeds that are still hanging around because no one can be bothered hulling them to eat them!! I will sprout them! fab....
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

jaqz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:38 »
Ive been sprouting at work  :o so use old mustard and cress containers, with either compost of paper towels. I have a glass sprouter from Julian Graves, but its a bit of a pain shaking the water out so they dont rot.

Iv heard good stuff about the Go sprouter, not the cheapest around but less work needed soaking and draining daily :

http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Go-Sprout-Sprouter--GOSPROUT.html

Anyone here tried it?

I might get one as i have some lovely seed mixes that i got with my seed order from the organic gardening catalogue and have not tried sprouting yet!

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 11:29:55 »
don't know if this would appeal to you, Jeannine
in Kitchen garden mag for september, they are growing crops on a miniscule scale
they grow seedlings in shallow compost on benches, 2 cms between each one, the seedlings stretch and you cut them to eat
the range is amazing, lovage, red cabbage, red mustard, mizuna, fennel, peas, oxalis, mesembryanthemum, amarant, rocket, turnip tos, lettuce, beet leaves and spinach,
theyre all grown like mustard and cress, apparently, the taste is fantastic
might have a 'do' at this myself, the amount of old seed I've got, i may as well try it  ;D

Spot on.

Micro Salads and herbs are all the rage with top restaurants.

Raymond Blanc has been growing them in his Le Manoir Kitchen Garden for some time.

Here's an article on growing.

Sorry it's off topic with regard to sprouting, but it is similar. i.e. using juvenile plants.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/seasonaleating/story/0,,2223293,00.html

Chappy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal