Author Topic: Botulism  (Read 1680 times)

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
Botulism
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:14:49 »
Does anyone know how I can get rid of Botulism???
Due to all the rain and flooding recently our garden has been a lake, is covered in puddles and is a sticky quagmire.
Our chickens have been ill on and off for 2 weeks, and 2 died. We have now discovered that we have Botulism in the soil that is poisoning the chickens.
The 2 remaining chickens are now living in the kitchen until we can make the garden safe for them to go back out. But how can we do that???

Any information would be most welcomed.
Thanks,
Sue
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Botulism
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:35:14 »
Oh Sue you poor thing that's not nice.

Jeyes fluid can be used to sterilise soil can't it? It sounds like a dramatic way to do it but maybe it would have to be. I hope someone else comes along with an answer for you.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:43:17 »
I know very little about soil borne botulism but I seem to have the idea in my head from somewhere that there is an antitoxin available for poultry but it is expensive, I am sorry I can't remember anymore but a call to the vet would find out. It might have been overseas I heard about it.

I am so sorry to hear this,,hugs XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:57:32 »
I found this south african website about botulism in hens etc.

It gives some good advice.  Hope it helps!

http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/nervous/default.htm

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 15:36:07 »
Thanks.
I am just battling at the moment to keep the other 2 alive!
I feel it's hard going mentally for me, as I just don't know how bad they will get before getting better, or if they will get worse again!

I thought it might be the soil this morning. But this afternoon, Bella, who has been well since Friday starting coming down with it again, they have been in the kitchen since yesterday lunchtime, so I am not sure how she is coming down with it again!

A week ago, when we didnt have a clue what it was the vet suggested something in the feed, so I thought it was the pellets and bought some different ones. This morning they have been eating hte new pellets, and now I am wondering if it is the pellets. And as I bought them from the same place as the last ones whether they were both contaminated, maybe due to poor storage!
I just don't know!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal