Author Topic: clearing large blackcurrant and blackberry roots  (Read 1163 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
clearing large blackcurrant and blackberry roots
« on: January 01, 2008, 16:33:58 »
What is the easiest way to do it? I have cut them all down to as close to the ground as possible, but getting the roots out is just about killing me. I am quite small and not really that strong! Any advice welcomed!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: clearing large blackcurrant and blackberry roots
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 17:03:17 »
I used a pick-axe! I also left some of the more determined ones, and just worked around them, picking off any shoots over the year & they went away eventually.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 17:29:10 »
Bramble roots in particular don't like being disturbed, so they will eventually die if you keep at them. The best way I found - and it is hard work! - was to use a spade to hack out the main roots and then just pull up the smaller ones with a fork as I worked over the ground. Still a sod of a job, but you'll get there in the end. Consider it a long term project...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 17:40:15 »
The Mattock is the proper tool for grubbing them out but if you are turning the area into cultivation, the simplest and most efficient action is to simply dig the area properly with a spade. When your trench comes to a root, just dig it out removing as many bits as possible. Some folks worry a lot about the bits re-growing. Well some do and most don't so I suggest you focus on the digging. The roots will lose the war.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 20:35:19 »
As said previously - a mattock for chopping. I would also use a spit for digging if you are having no joy with a spade.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 21:06:57 »
I agree with the mattock suggestion.  It gives you lots of leverage meaning you don't need to use quite so much brute force.  Dig around the rootball, cutting any really large side roots with a lopper or equivalent.  Then stick one end of the mattock in and lever it out.  Then move on to the next one..........

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 21:25:22 »
It gives you lots of leverage meaning you don't need to use quite so much brute force.  Dig around the rootball, cutting any really large side roots with a lopper or equivalent.  Then stick one end of the mattock in and lever it out.

Terrible! Terrible! That's not the way to use a mattock. That's the way to break the handle. A mattock is NOT designed for leverage at all. It has two cutting edges at right angles to each other and between them will root out quite large bushes but you pull the handle and it will snap at the least resistance.

paulg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 16:52:51 »
Hi there sparkly
I have also just taken over a plot covered in brambles. I have cut everything down to ground level with a petrol brushcutter and have spent a couple of hours whenever i can over the last three or four weeks just using a spade and a fork to dig out all roots as i come to them. It is hard work but little and often is the way to go. I have now cleared and dug over about a third of my plot and will manure this bit ready for spring. The rest will get dug over as and when time allows. I have also started other things on the allotment as well so i can divide my time across several tasks otherwise just digging all the time is not fun.

paul g

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 16:39:09 »
Thanks for all the advice. I have been using a matock and it has definately made the job easier  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal