Author Topic: Potatos  (Read 1361 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Potatos
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:36:31 »
Quick question... Having never grown potatos before I'm a little stuck...
I lobbed a couple of old spuds I found down the back of the fridge into the ground back in the spring on the off chance they'd grow, and they have. In fact they seem to have done really well. I just have one problem, how do I know when they're ready to dig up? some of the leaves are starting to turn yellow'ish so I'd guess they're coming to the end of their growing cycle. Can I tell from looking when they're ready or is it a case f having a little dig around?

Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Potatos
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:11 »
wow I would have said that it was quite late for the spuds to still have their foliage? But yeah normally the foliage will yellow and die off after flowering and once it has died the spud are ready. But you can dig a little into the soil near the base of the plant and see if you can feel any spuds. If you grab hold of any you can just pull them away and out. If they are of a good size, then I guess they are ready!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 18:02:44 »
Good advice. But, if they happened to be earlies, they could well be past their prime.

Don't be too disappointed.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 20:04:57 »
being new to this I now need to ask a stupid question....  if they are earlies, what would be the result of having left them in the ground too long?
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 21:50:10 »
They tend to grow too large, many develop hollow heart... they loose their flavour... some varieties, especially the older ones make passable mains..
 :-\

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:08:47 »
but... if they were earlies wouldn't the leaves etc have died down ages ago?

perhaps I should dig them up now just to be sure?
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 18:32:28 »
Early leaves would most certainly have died off be now but it wont harm to have a firkle about, if they look big enough then use and store them.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 23:12:25 »
They tend to grow too large, many develop hollow heart... they loose their flavour... some varieties, especially the older ones make passable mains..
 :-\

Just to say that I am still digging my first earlies (planted too many)! The foliage died off weeks ago. I've  only got a couple of plants left. These were Arran Pilot and even though they have been in the ground so long, they are still delicious! Of the 40-odd plants dug so far, not a single potato has been diseased or nibbled by slugs! I'll definitely be planting these again next year.

Cheers,
Ian

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 17:59:01 »
I only planted a few potatoes - Nicola - 2nd earliers and am still digging them up as I need them. Foliage has all gone now, just the dry sticks being evident.....they're the very best tatties I've ever grown - not a blemish on them (and I've had awful scab in the past with some varieties) most are good size but some little ones too :P which look sweet on the plate!

Still got 4 more roots to dig sometime but will store them in thick paper bags until I need them (somewhere indoors - don't have anywhere else ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal