Author Topic: globe artichokes  (Read 1248 times)

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
globe artichokes
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:03:42 »
In the spring I sowed some artichoke seeds in an attempt to establish a perennial bed.  I then put five healthy plants into my bed and they have done very well, they are about 18" high with 4 or 5 healthy, spiky looking leaves.  Yesterday when I was at the lottie, I noticed that one of the plants had a large fruit on it about the size of an apple with a smaller one following on.  i did not expect to get a crop this year so my question is should i remove the artichokes so that the plant can get well established or should i just let it do it's thing? you help would be much appreciated :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: globe artichokes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:05:02 »
Not my area... both plans sound plausible! ???

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:15:27 »
I have a number of globes and i would be inclined to take the globe off and enjoy it.
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:04 »
If one has got that size take it and enjoy-but take every other one of as soon as they appear. I`m a great believer in letting them establish so as to have a good harvest for years

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:36:26 »
The information I researched (Sarah Ravens) advised that in the first year harvest fruits at the size of a golf ball, if you allow to grow any bigger will affect future harvests - hope this helps.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 15:09:33 »
I would remove them while they are still very small (and eat them, of course).
They are far nicer when young anyway. :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 15:15:39 »
Hi - My plants are just 2 years old now.  I let one of them flower last year and the other not.  One of them got to 5ft this year with about 6 heads and - not having a memory - think it is the one that I removed the heads off!

Good luck - they are beautiful looking plants even without the bonus of the artichoke heads!

;D

HappyCatz

• Quarter Acre
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 18:45:22 »
thanks all for your replies, will be off down the lottie to take off their heads! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal