Author Topic: Roses from seed?  (Read 1566 times)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Roses from seed?
« on: June 22, 2007, 14:33:53 »
Back in the fine weather, my 5 yr old grandson brought me a rosehip from the garden, no idea which rose he got it from, and asked me about it.

I split it open to show him and was surprised to find about a dozen seeds inside. We put half a dozen of them in each of 2x5" pots of MPC and forgot about them. I have just discovered what looks to be ONE rose seedling in one pot. It seems to have rose shaped leaves(albeit very small), and tiny spines (thorns?) up the stem. It's only about 1" tall at the moment.

Has any body else grown roses from a hip? Do they come true to the plant they came from (I think it maybe a pink climber we have at the end of the garden), or are they like dog roses?

Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Roses from seed?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 17:01:18 »
Hello

There is a lot of work involved here's a link it's american but list's in detail what to do.

http://www.scvrs.homestead.com/HybridizeKB1.html

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 20:38:03 »
Everything depends on the rose. If it's a species, it'll breed true. If it's a hybrid, it won't.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 20:41:47 »
i agree with robert plus it normally takes three years before you get a rose off it.
Bob

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 21:29:51 »
Yes. But the joy of growing something from a collected seed is a very special thing. Well done, Quizz...look after it, regardless of the end result. Me likes it :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 21:42:51 »
Now this appeals  to me.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 21:49:56 »
Really it was just a hip which got left on the plant last season, so didn't need to be refrigerated, because it had been out all winter. Not sure if has been cross pollinated as there are other roses, but not that close, and this plant has a lot of blooms all summer.

The seedling seems to be very slow growing though. Took about 6-8 weeks to germinate.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal