Author Topic: Boosting morale  (Read 1329 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Boosting morale
« on: June 10, 2007, 17:07:14 »
I've now dug a bed or three on the new plot.
I've also stuck some seed in: parsnips (no sign of anything happening yet), courgettes (woo-hoo - there is green stuff coming up just where I planted them), and a few raddishes (no sign but I only stuck them in yesterday).

But to keep me enthusiastic, what would you recomend I plant next for a guaranteed swift return (i.e. something that grows fast and is very very easy to grow)?  I know raddishes are meant to be fast but I'm not overly keen on the taste of them so don't really want any more.

My plot is sandy silt, in full sun light, the empty bed having been RoundUpped and then dug and broken up to a fork depth to remove roots and stones.  It's not been composted or manured as I've only had it a few weeks and haven't acquired any yet (well, I have two sacks of multi-purpose compost but have been told to keep that for seed trays).

thanks for any replies!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Boosting morale
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 17:14:42 »
carrots ?, beetroot?, bit hot at the mo for chinese leaves but later on, they're easy..peas, french beans..squash ?..lots of stuff and quite easy..hope you get lots of stuff  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 17:15:18 »
Parsnips won't show for ages, I'm afraid! I'd given up on mine last year then realised they were finally coming up! Your gourgettes, on the other hand, should be fairly quick, I think. If this heat continues, you might be better getting some seeds going in pots, where you can keep an eye on them so they don't dry out too quickly (I've covered mine in plastic to keep them damp). Lettuce is another quick one, but I'm no expert,so others will be along soon, I'm sure!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 17:18:00 »
Lettuce is always a good one, esp. the cut and come again as you can take some leaves off and it let it grow some more!

Our morale booster last year were runner beans as once they got going you couldn't stop them and when they are trained up their poles you look like you know what you are doing! ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 19:58:19 »
Yeah, runner beans are great.

Cucumbers were my BIG WOW plant last summer, I bought a couple of 8" plants in June, they took off at great speed and produced loads of gorgeous fruit.

Rocket is even quicker than radishes.  :)
You been goofin' with the bees?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 21:04:33 »
If you want quick guaranteed results, forget seeds. Get plants and just plant 'em. Having lived in a household with more cats & dogs than humans for longer than I can remember, I gave up sowing seed in situ decades ago (except where you have no choice, like carrots & parsnips - and I still can't grow those!) because they always got dug up!

Grow, buy or borrow: courgette, squash, sweetcorn, beans, leeks. Order onion sets & garlic for planting in October. And between then & now sow salads of any kind in seed trays, prick them into modules & plant out in a month or two.

If you've only just dug your beds, it's not really a good environment for small seeds. Mine have been nurtured for yearsand I've still only got a handful of parsnips!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 22:11:32 »
After my trials a couple of weeks ago ,and following on from earlier in the year,I am now convinced that pre germinating parsnips is foolproof. I have now done it with 6 types pf parsnips and every time the germination has been very fast and an excellent %. Transferring the germinated seeds straight into a soft raised bed has gone smoothly and within a week the shoots are above the ground.

Large flat Tupperware container with several layers on kitchen towel laid  in, well moisten it,lay snip seeds on that, pop the lid on,put in airing cupboard, look daily ,open lid  to change the air,as soon as the shoots are 1/4 inch long plant them into watered ground,keep the surface of the soil damp.

I would stress mine are going into a raised bed with loamy soft soil in.

Sorry if I am repeating myself as I have put this on another thread but it is so easy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:00:22 »
French beans grow quickly - I just sowed mine this weekend!! Parsnips take a LONG time to germinate (2-4 weeks) but then they grow pretty quickly!! Maybe a few plants would be a good idea? Toms? I can't grow radish to save me life it seems so I won't recommend those!!! Fennel also has grown quickly on my lot, but I guess some people don't like it much.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Buzz

• Not So New ...
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 18:46:20 »
I'd go with lettuce - I tend to sow mine in a seed tray and then transplant.

They come up in a jiffy and kept well watered they'll swell up in no time :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 22:38:13 »
As someoneelse said why not buy plants in if you want fast results? its not as satisfying as growing from seed but you don't get faster than instant.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 14:14:56 »
and a few raddishes (no sign but I only stuck them in yesterday).

Could it be possible that you are more impatient than me?!!

How about some runner beans, mine are flying and they were only sown 2 weeks ago. Or lettuce, rocket and pak choi? Have fun and tell those flippin radishes to get a move on. 24 hrs in the ground and no action. Tsk.

Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 21:37:47 »
Thanks for the advice everyone - got down to the plot for the first time in a week* and the radishes are sticking their heads out but something has been munching on the courgettes: netting now applied.

Think that I'll go for more courgettes, some lettuce, cucumber and perhaps a squash or two - anything that can be thrown into or go with a curry will do me ;D

*having not got home before 8 all week due to too much work on site, then having the site flood big time on Friday and much of the archeology wash away  >:( need a bit of a rest from digging now  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal