Author Topic: Finally got to the plot!!!  (Read 1164 times)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
Finally got to the plot!!!
« on: May 11, 2007, 18:28:43 »
After complaining I couldn't get down there much, I managed to get down there for an hour or so yesterday and turned this:

into this:

so we MAY have strawberries this year after all. Lots of little green ones coming along nicely. Still work to be done but Rory (2) was helping and promptly fell into a pile of nettles I had ripped out of it so was not in the mood to help any longer!!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 18:32:05 by BarbaraGood »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Finally got to the plot!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 19:57:42 »
Well done! It's surprising what you can get done in an hour.I always have the intention to do an hour a day but it always turns into a couple of hours a week- if I'm lucky!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 15:19:40 »
Surely you must have had some magic dock leaves in all that for the poor mite!
Having been out in the rain for the last couple of hours I think I've lost the plot!
 ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 15:22:51 »
Well done you, strawbs looking good!  I just wish we'd been able to do even an hour this wekeend, but i haven't been up at all - and it's literally a minute's walk from our house  :-[

Teeming down with rain now, and for next few days apparently, so doubt we'll get much done for another few days, no doubt our weeds will have prospered since we last saw them.... :o
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 15:56:45 »
Ah he is made of strong stuff, didn't even mention the stinging once I got the bribery sweets out  :P But no I searched for dock leaves, as I thought they were ALWAYS nearby and not a single one!!

I havent been at all since tho - must try and get there even if for the odd half hour to get more weeds out as yes, they flourish more than the veggies in this lot it seems!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 19:20:22 »
Weeds never get the transplanting shock that most of ours do... and good weeds are the sign of a fertile plot! Did I hear that right you have no DOCKS!
 :o

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 21:52:19 »
couldnt find a single one but right by the strawbs is a fairly hefty peice of land covered in tarps, so maybe they are hiding?? None in strawbs and at least a dozen evil thistles! Will investigate further once the downpour eases off, hoping tomorrow!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:12:05 »
teeming rain all weekend stopped me getting to the garden  >:(  but you can't complain about rain can you!!
I had a quick look in on Friday evening, the seeds are coming up! carrots, beets, parsnips and broccoli! so I guess that soon it will be looking more "filled up" ! My strawbs are on black plastic (but bindweed still does its best to get through it) and I have lots of fruit coming through!
But next weekend I shall have to put in more than an hour I think!!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 18:52:15 »
My two year old done the same thing Babs, dropped her bottle in the stingers, hand in and screamed like a banshee :'(, rubbed with a dock leave and she calmed down but the bumps were six inches long round her arm. Can't believe there was no docks though Babs  ??? strange one. 
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

STEVEPARTRIDGE

• Half Acre
    • MY ALLOTMENTS DIARY
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 19:12:46 »
Hi Barbara, well done on what you managed to get done despite the really wet weather that most of us have had this weekend. I don't know if you have a problem with the birds on your allotments but if you do then I would recommend that you cover the Strawberries with netting before they ripen or the birds will eat them first, regards Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:23:48 »
We do Steve, my plot runs along a cemetery boundary that is a row of beautiful trees and the birdsong may sound lovely but it has its downside!! I have a boot ful of netting and weed control stuff and as its bright this morning we are heading down there once the older ones have been despatched to school!

Thanks for the tip tho, I would not have thought of covering strawbs!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal