Author Topic: Moving Large Shrubs - Theory v. Practice!  (Read 2886 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Moving Large Shrubs - Theory v. Practice!
« on: March 05, 2007, 18:14:27 »
Has anyone actualy sucessfully moved a large shrub 'By the book' as it were. By this I mean prepare new hole, dig aound shrub with as large rootball as possible, then manovre plant to get a sheet or similar around the rootball so that it can be moved whilst keeping the rootball soil intact. Then move to new site and do the reverse of the above.

this is the theory, but how easy is it to do in practice? I always try to follow the 'correct' procedure but find that even with my heavy soil (or perhaps because of it) the rootball always falls apart when I go to lift the shrub, and I end up almost planting bare root. Not ideal BUT the shrubs moved like this dont seem to come to much harm.

So then have any of you ever managed to do it 'properly' or have you had to use a different method. What sucess have you had moving shrubs this way?

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Moving Large Shrubs - Theory v. Practice!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 18:52:21 »
Hi, i've always had the same problem as you when moving shrubs with the soil rootball falling apart as soon as they are out of the ground ::). However I have never had any success problem with moving them and they  seem to survive perfectly well anyway.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 19:56:57 »
Me too GC, mine always seems to fall apart, but does the shrub no harm that I have noticed.  I will be interested to see what others say...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 22:50:45 »
I've moved mature fruit bushes several times. I only do it when they're dormant, and the soil is damp. Even if the root ball disintegrates, they seem to manage without difficulty, but I'd be very hesitant about trying it in the growing season.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 23:28:32 »
I need to relocate a camellia which has probably been in its present spot for about 9 years. Who can tell me if it will transplant ok? I know all about the big hole for new location to be filled with ericaceous compost etc., but I'm thinking that some of the roots will be pretty big and may need cutting through in order to get it out (the bush is about 5 1/2 feet tall). I shall wait until it has finished blooming before making the attempt, but what is the consensus - will a mature shrub weather such a shock?

Tricia

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:40:28 »
It should do, as long as it's done carefully. Do it ASAP, or, better, leave it till October. You may need to water over the summer.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 08:15:31 »
is the camelia not in flower?

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:46:08 »
I've moved large shrubs of all deminominations loads of times. The important thing is to work hard at getting out as much root as possible and then take a look. Is the extricated rootball of a large enough size to support the top growth? If not then prune top growth accordingly and keep it well watered in its new hole for a good six months. If the shrub is really important then rootball it one year, ie dig all round it, cutting through the main roots, no closer to the stem than the dripline and leave in situ. Lots of new roots will develop and then move it next year, you should have a good compact root system that'll establish easily.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:03:24 »
Moving deciduous shrubs when dormant is always a safer bet than evergreens or deciduous shrubs in active growth. After all nurserymen move deciduous trees and shrubs all the time in the dormant season, in fact it was the traditional time to sell and plant such plants.

Moving plants 'out of season' ie when not dormant should always be done with great care and only if absolutely nessesary.

My recent moving efforts, which sparked this topic, was the moving of a philadelphus, which I planted a few years ago. I planted it too close to other shrubs and a fence and had simply go too big for the site. Considering the mild weather i guess this is the latest i could have moved it, as it is already starting to break bud. Howver considering all the wet weather this is actualy the earliest opportunity i have had to  do the move! Early springs can have their drawbacks! (last year the plants were at bud break stage in early april).

as far as evergreens are concerned i can never really work out the best time to move them. Autumn and spring are the recomended times, but neither seem ideal considering the way our climate is at the moment. Do it in autumn and they end up sitting in wet over winter, do it in spring, and you risk them not establishing before the summer heat and drought kicks in.

i was wondering when it was best to transplant a bay tree. i have a nice specimen in the ideal spot in the garden. unfortunately its in the way of some upcoming construction work in the garden (new boundary wall). I dont realy want to move it, but i risk loosing it if i leave it where it is. Any ideas? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:05:26 by Garden Cadet »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 14:07:46 »
Thanks for all the input. If it ever stops raining for long enough I may just go ahead and take a chance. It is in bloom, but one can buy camellias in the garden centres that are in bloom and they get planted out in the Spring, don't they?

Tricia

Rohaise

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 21:08:36 »
I think the fact that it is STILL raining is one good thing in your favour .   The plant wont even notice its been transplanted ....get out and do it now I say !    :D Rohaise x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal