Author Topic: Uses other than cooking for your microwave... Good Housekeeping Institute  (Read 6727 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Oops, I forgot we do cook a little in it , we do cook porridge in the microwave, plus carrotts,in just a splodge of honey and butter,and in the summer the sweetcorn goes in  without shucking for three minutes and it cooks super. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
When I make a cheesecake (no-bake type), I put a wet dishcloth in the microwave for about 30 seconds then wrap it around the tin for a few seconds. This will release the cheesecake from the sides of the tin so that the springform can be opened easily.

Tricia

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Jeannine, thanks a lot for the scrambled egg tip, I might just have to give that one a go.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
HP sauce bottles.....that should work for those annoying skin creams that stick inside their plastic containers. Hitherto I have cut them in half with scissors and scooped out the last bits, but now I'll try the microwave.....
Me too. I can't bear to waste expensive face creams etc.
Always cook rice in mine, and dry catnip to put in bags for addicted cat.
What's all this about zapping dishcloths? Haven't had a cloth one for years. I use j cloths and chuck them when they've had it after a couple of bleachings.  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Tulipa

• Hectare
My lot have always been fascinated watching a pavlova cook in the microwave as it grows so quickly.  It's more a meringue than pavlova but is good when you are in a rush.

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
I cook jam and marmalade in mine as well as prove the bread if I'm pushed for time...but the best use of the microwave is heating up my home made 'wheat bags' for my knees after slogging on the lottie.  (I do agree about the scrambled eggs usage too)
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
I was in a group teaching session with a company chef the other day, and she proved Ciabatta in the microwave - reckoned it actually turned out better! The whole process was remarkably quick.

artichoke

• Hectare
Proving bread: how high do you turn up the microwave?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
.but the best use of the microwave is heating up my home made 'wheat bags' for my knees after slogging on the lottie..
Where do you get the wheat from Nitiram? (sitting here with shop bought wheatie bag round neck)

nitiram

• Half Acre
I use cheap long grain rice that comes in those 'value packs' from supermarkets. Works just as well as wheat. I have made several bags in various sizes including four pocket sized ones which I bung in the microwave to heat up before goingt o the lottie on a chilly morn...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
That's a great idea. I thought about making some novelty ones for Christmas pressies. We have a challenge to see who can give the present costing the least and amuse the most here, or something home made or home grown. This will fill both criteria and my imagination is working overtime now.......many thanks for the tip. :D

nitiram

• Half Acre
Your welcome. I make them as gifts as the one sin the shop are so expensive. A tip though...make a removable/washable cover to go over the bag as they get a bit grubby after time. Fleecy ones are especially snuggly. I buy baby blankets from the £1 shop.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Noted, thanks. ;)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
I'd like to know how to prove bread in the microwave too.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I get 50pound bag of  wheat from an animal food store for my magic bags XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

nitiram

• Half Acre
We don't have animal food stores near me, but would a pet shop sell wheat do you think?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Yes actually ours is a pet shop, a big basic  warehouse job but they cater for pidgeon racers  and dog breeders, so everything is in big sacks,etc. Not the fancy diamante collar stuff. We didn't pay much £6 seems to be in my head but I could be wrong,XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal