Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 1371 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Drugs
« on: April 10, 2007, 00:33:54 »
We've just found out today that every flat directly opposite our lottie site and shop has recently had new residents rehoused by our local council. There were many elderley people in the flats who have all now been re-housed. All flats have now been filled with hardcore heavy drug users. Site members are now a little anxious of what may come to our site, plots, sheds etc. All advice welcome. (16 - 20 flats total).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:03:13 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Drugs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:00:57 »
they would not just be dumped there.

There would be someone looking after them.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:10:11 »
I agree with Cambourne - if they are all addicts, then it will probably be part of a rehab scheme of some sort. I've worked with a number of drug addicts (providing private housing) and became good friends with several. You know, they're just as likely to be bad 'uns as you or me - although they have to spend more than they receive as income and a habit brings out the beast inside.

Of course, if they are on a rehab scheme, they'll be regularly tested & so wouldn't be able to take drugs. Therefore, they shouldn't need to steal to feed a habit. Although in my experience, sadly most rehab schemes fail and they will still have their junky friends visiting (increasing the chance of failure and also potentially on the lookout for easily sellable items).

My only concern would be "petty" crime (not so petty when it's your stuff, I know) - tools etc.. Muddy looking old tools wouldn't be of much interest.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:21:28 »
I agree, the sort of stuff you keep at the lottie wouldn't interest anyone that was stealing to sell, whoever they are,but I would never leave good stuff there.

We had a several families of travellers move on the field next to us yesterday, people were getting nervous too.

Same applies, I don't think any one group is more likely to to steal as another,we find the neighbourhood youths are our biggest problem. Also other gardeners who have sticky fingers, they leave behing the tat and only steal the good tools.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:38:07 »
Oh kt i thought you were offering!  ;D They won't just house heavy drug users in a building all together - can you imagine!!! If that was the case then you'd have cause to be concerned. In reality it probably is a rehab program of some sort and they will be tested and supervised. The regs are pretty strict, if tests prove them to have done drugs, they'll lose their place as the waiting lists for rehab are longer than for a lottie.
I can see why you'd be concerned, you may lose crops off your lottie as one ex junkie once told me, that's how he fed himself for about a year was nicking off plots over the road from his flat. They are not all bad people, although some really are. Most will be on a rehab program because they really want to kick the habit, others to avoid a custodial sentence. I agree with OllieC that most rehabs fail and this may only be a temporary problem. Until something happens kt, i wouldn't worry about it too much.
Also i feel a bit like this - if i have to tolerate rich london di*ks building horrendous faux 30's 'luxury' flats for other rich di*ks who also contribute nothing to the area other than to nick everyones parking as the developer was too greedy to provide it-then the more unsavoury should also be able to live too! In fact junkies annoy me much less than the former.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:41:35 »
Hope you are right. I will watch with great interest. Though my stance on drugs is a zero tolerance one with no excuses, no matter what, no matter why the reason. Definitely despise it with a passion.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:17:04 »
I dunno kt. Drugs are obviously not the most sensible answer to your problems but if you heard some of these stories you would go some way to understanding the motivation to block out the pain of memories you can't deal with. No-one intends to become a thieving junkie with a face covered in sores and arms like a pincushion, it's mostly to escape something they're not strong enough to deal with, abuse, for example.
They don't expect the heroin to take such a stranglehold. Watching my mother in law in her final days with terminal lung cancer I am grateful for morphine and can see why junkies start being unable to face the day without it. That said, I'm not as soft and daft as i sound. Am aware of the realities of living around junkies and the effect they have on an area. Just don't want you to worry over much now before anything has happened. You don't want to be accused of nimbyism eh?  8)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 13:10:17 »
If you leave thing like rotovators or Cordless power tools take some of it home eg the wheel or battery pack... you can't sell on half a tool!
 ::)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 13:18:54 »
..if your open with them rather than closing ranks ( which i know can be easy to do ) you will find that they will become self regulating and anyone who trys anything the others will make sure they dont step out of line again and that any damage is resolved.

If you have any empty plots why not ask if anyone wants to join you?

If monty can do it...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 22:41:30 »
I dunno kt. Drugs are obviously not the most sensible answer to your problems but if you heard some of these stories you would go some way to understanding the motivation to block out the pain of memories you can't deal with.

Still not swayed.  Having had family members gone down this path myself - still not swayed. At work we have compulsory drugs testing which happens when you least expect it, anywhere in the world. We have a zero tolerance there too. Test positive and they are out of a job usually within a week. There is a right of appeal should individuals feel wrongly accused, but since its introduction 12-15yrs ago, I don't recall anybody requesting this. (Not to say it has not happened though).

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 23:06:23 »
There are some pretty different reasons why someone may take drugs then realise it has got out of hand.

Narcitic painkillers for example, prescribed appropriately that fast become a a habit,drugs like percodan or percocets, very hard to get off,yet they were needed at the time.

Some tablets prescibed for weight loss and it gets out of hand.

Once on the first step of the ladder it is so very easy to stray over the line.

I couldn't be judgemental,as it is so easy, especially if someone is going through horrendous personal trauma at the time. It truly can happen to anyone !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 23:21:05 »
I dunno kt. Drugs are obviously not the most sensible answer to your problems but if you heard some of these stories you would go some way to understanding the motivation to block out the pain of memories you can't deal with.

Still not swayed.  Having had family members gone down this path myself - still not swayed.
I hear you kt, lots of us could have just opted out of dealing with life, but then, we are the lucky ones because we were strong enough. I don't like junkies particularly, i like people who take cocaine even less and that used to account for about 90% of my workmates and they paid for it on their credit cards!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal