Author Topic: Ban christmas  (Read 3748 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Ban christmas
« on: January 21, 2007, 19:37:04 »

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Re: Ban christmas
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 19:52:57 »
Have both signed up
what has happened to our traditions????

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 20:00:25 »
Nice one Andy, i've signed it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 20:02:03 »
I have just worn my fingers out typing on different votes, could be there all night ;D

done 26 ;D ;D ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 20:28:21 »
I've lived in quite a few different countries and we always celebrated Christmas the 'Christian' way...some of those countries were Moslem countries and we had quite a few of our Moslem neighbours over to celebrate with us...in return we were invited back. There was absolutley no inference that while in their country we should drop our views and the feeling went both ways. I wonder what would have happened if their local 'leaders' had decided to pamper us Brit's and change their festive times so as not to upset us in their country...!
I have many friends here in Belgium who are Moslems and they laugh their socks off when they see what's happening in the UK...One of my closest friend here is from India ( a Hindu) and she says, 'What the hell's going on over there, is religion ruling Britain now?'.....She has a point.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 20:41:34 »
I'm not at all religious but would be happy to have time off work for all the worlds religions holidays - I wonder how many Bank Holidays that would give us
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 20:55:52 »
50+      ;D ;D ;D ;D  Happy new years.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 21:03:41 »
Tis true Ken, ridiculous over here. I have friends of many backgrounds.
I do REALLY object to things that are ENGLISH under threat from ANYONE.

My mate worls at post office and two mates there are english and pakistan and they are so racist to each other but IN FUN.

They have been told to stop being racist! Could offend others. they even set up a supergrass team to listen out for it!!!!!!!!

Invited to join the team he said ******* :o

He said they are friends and having a laugh. If anyone is offended then they shouldn`t listen and be nosey :)

I love jokes against most people, and although in reality the seriousness of most things are not nice  but life is bad enough, you have to laugh at yourself and others to keep sane sometimes.

Red tape gone mad, soap box put back in cupboard for now ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 21:11:24 »
signed up, I love Christmas !!  :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 21:12:15 »
I'm not at all religious but would be happy to have time off work for all the worlds religions holidays - I wonder how many Bank Holidays that would give us
Count em
Religious Calendar
 ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 21:54:02 »
There has to be more racist comments within the Forces than in any other organisation....but tell you what, left to it's own devices, it works it'self out without Big Brother needing to step in. Yes, there are OTT situations, but again, that's on all sides. We're too bloody pampered these days and frightened to death to look sideways at a person of another culture. It's a situation that will be improved by better intergration rather than interference and rules and regulations.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 22:36:23 »
couldn`t have put it better Ken................. :-X

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 21:28:39 »
I'd be very happy for them to rename it. The current festival of the great god Commerce has nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity, and very little to do with traditions, most of which only go back to Victorian times anyway. So why can't they call it something else and stop pretending?

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 21:44:06 »
Good point Robert could not agree more
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 22:18:14 »
But we have been brought up with it and now people from "other" places are finding it offensive so screw them. Keep it as it was for our upbringing.

If they don`t like it then............... :-X

I don`t moan about ANY other religious calender dates
Let them do as they like but DONT moan about what I was bought up with.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 18:48:16 »
What makes you so sure that people from 'other' places are really finding it offensive? I certainly haven't heard any complaints from that direction! I've come across this sort of over-the-top stuff before; most of it is silly media hype, but the grain of truth, and unfortunately it is there, is usually over-officious white people (from HERE) trying to impose their ideas on everyone else. Naturally they're generally the last people who are likely to make the effort to listen to anyone from 'there' and find out what they really think.

I remember some years ago, there was a silly, and fortunately short-lived, campaign to make everyone talk about 'coffee without milk' instead of 'black coffee'. I actually did try to find black people who objected, and was completely unable to find any, it was just a few silly officious white people. The 'Winterval' thing in Birmingham was from the same period and the same mentailty; it was very short lived, and soon died the death. But the nedia will keep dredging it up.

Go out there and find out how many people are genuinely saying that we should rename Christmas. You might find it hard to find any.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 19:07:57 »
I cant believe that it has come to the stage when we have to do this.
It seems to me that the only peps worried about all this is are the nutters who think they know best making the silly rules but don't live in the real world

signed to

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 22:09:51 »
Well RB obviously the media has a lot to answer to then.
I "read" that the name should be changed as it is offending some people.
I OBJECT to THAT. Why should I change the name?
If no one objects in reality then blame the media not me.
If you haven`t heard any complaints "from that direction" then we are reading different things or looking in different places.

usually over-officious white people (from HERE) trying to impose their ideas on everyone else

Why would I want to do that? It is simply the fact of me believing what I read
I will listen to other people and I have many friends of many religions and many colours( I am NOT racist until someone attacks english tradition)

Even then I cannot be blammed for being racist) I am just protecting what is english tradition.

is usually over-officious white people (from HERE) trying to impose their ideas on everyone else

Not really... Just maybe as little as one person trying to BAN Christmas started it off.

Coffee without milk instead of black coffee!!!!!!!!!!!
Ban black bin liners as it is offensive to black people?????????

How pathetic, it is enough to start racism and many people DID object to that. That also started years ago.

Go out there and find out how many people are genuinely saying that we should rename Christmas. You might find it hard to find any.

But if it is ONE person then I OBJECT to that ONE person and so signed the petition. So, with all respect, don`t please have a go at me for racism when I am not, just only sticking up for my tradition of england scotland wales and ireland.

If I were to go to some other country and bung a spanner in the works about a local traditional belief for that region then I would expect annimosity and resentment from the locals as would be expected.

Personnally, I don`t care if the person objecting is from france, spain, russia, pakistan, Iraq, australia or the antarctic. I just object to their objection to traddition of a particular countries traddition.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 22:33:19 »
I didn't call anyone racist; I actually objected to misrepresentation by the media, creating an issue which isn't there in reality. And as I say, I have actually gone out there and asked questions for myself; I don't believe everything I read. The (very few) people I found objecting were all from England, and so, as far as I could see, were their ancestors to the Nth generation. Go figure.

If you want to start a flame war, pick on someone else.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 22:35:37 »
Not "picking on you" just reiterating what I believe in......

Enjoy the allotment either way :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal