Author Topic: Strawberry Runners + Thank You  (Read 1287 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Strawberry Runners + Thank You
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:55:05 »
Big thank you ;)  and cyber hugs to Emma and Teresa  ;D for my strawberry runners, they both arrived safely this morning. :-* I am itching to get them in and so don’t want to lose them and can’t decide whether to pot them up till spring or risk them out in the ground? Not sure of the varieties but Harpi and Perpetual have been mentioned. ;D

What would you do? :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:49:28 by Roy Bham UK »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Strawberry Runners + Thank You
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:52:37 »
Oh great they arrived. 8)
Just for you one is Hapil ( got spelling right at last) mother plant bought for son by my mum years ago from Percy Throwers garden centre. Its listed in the link below.  ;)
Other one heaven knows what was around 15-20 years ago. :-[

http://www.welshfruitstocks.co.uk/acatalog/Soft_Fruit_Plants.html

In pots treat for vine weevil they can survive in compost over winter,  :'(not so much in the ground but try both ways.
Sum must survive, have fun cyber hugs to you as well :-*, dont worry hee hee.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 18:08:59 »
I have no idea what my varieties are Roy as I have received lots in the past from friends, neighbours and relatives, either runners from their own stock, or when they have been offered cheap when people are out and about.  Some are HUGE strawbs, some small but as sweet as sugar, but they are all mixed up I'm afraid. 

I grow mine directly in the allotment in a sunny area.  I plant slightly proud of the soil so the crown isn't covered with soil as it will rot quite quickly.  I would put them in now.  Old Jack is waiting for some from Dobies and when he called them last week they told him they would be posted at the end of November so there is still plenty of time to get them in.  In the spring, as they start to flower, I use straw or shredded paper around the plants to keep the fruit proud of the soil and also to reflect the sunlight to speed up the ripening.  I also have to net mine very carefully as the birdies like them more than my redcurrants.  I use large half hoops which I peg netting over.  I also use slug bait - preferably bird/wildlife friendly as the slimy creatures love them as much as the birds.  Most things I am prepared to share with nature, but my number one girl will cut off her right arm for a bowl full of my strawbs, still warm from the plot, so I don't share the strawbs with anyone!  ;D

You can do it Roy, after all, you grow bananas!!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 18:15:34 »
Good advice from EJ, one thing Roy with mine as they are this years runners when they flower in the spring/summer remove the flowers and dont let them produce runners let them build up a good root system for following years fruiting. This way you will get two crops over a longer period from the Harpil ones and a more or less contunous from the others.
Forgot to mention that in the note.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 22:14:56 »
;D I've made a decision :o ;D I'll plant out Emma's and pot yours Teresa, a bit like belt and bracer's, I'm taking no chances ;D and feeling confident that I will get a good crop this time round, thanks to you lovely ladies. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal