Author Topic: flea beetle  (Read 2306 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
flea beetle
« on: June 13, 2006, 16:31:58 »
It's seems the flea beetle enjoys living here as well  - can't say I really mind it as it only eats the leaves on things I don't want the leaves of (ie radish) except rocket. I've some lovely rocket but it's full of holes!
When I've time and money I'll sort some nets out but until then is it 'safe' to eat the rocket or will the flea beetles have left some nasty beetle salvia (or something) about?

thanks
Karen

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: flea beetle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 17:47:27 »
I've eaten it for years, with no obvious ill effect, the damage is largely cosmetic if not done too early, you will have to use fleece to avoid it!
 ;D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 18:22:17 »
When you get netting make sure it's VERY fine. These beetles really are tiny. I tried net curtains, but that was useless. I've now ordered some extra fine enviromesh from The Organic Gardening catalogue. Don't know if normal enviromesh is fine enough, but I wasn't going to risk it after the net curtain fiasco...

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 15:06:05 »
Apparantly ( Flowerdew again) they don't like ...

mint
catnip
wormwood
elderberry
tomato
bergamot

just scatter the bits about  ;)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 21:34:38 »
I first found my Mizuna munched and then my raddishes and now all my brassica's. They are all absolutely covered with tiny holes and tiny black beetles. Millions of the blighters! I assume this is the flea beetle? Am I too late to save my plants?

Serves me right for abandoning the plot for a week! Have a good excuse - hurt my neck and shoulder.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 22:27:29 »
Most Brassicas grow on and out of it... give them a good nitrogeon feed.. if you can get and keep the soild damp... I use urea... No I'm not taking the P***
 ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 23:35:17 »
Grew my rocket in a pot right under the toms but only asked the neighbour to water the tomatoes during our 2 week holiday.  Toms OK (although showing some BER) but rocket, usually flea beetle ridden so Derris dosed, fried. :'(  Sowing another lot tomorrow.

only small

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 13:28:30 »
I have lots (and I mean thousands!) of tiny white insects on my swedes. Are these the dreaded flea beetle? The leaves are all full of the tiny holes that everybody describes, but always assumed that the flea beetle would be black/brown.

I am trying to be as organic as possible so don't really want to spray with derris (although i'm not really sure what this is), does anyone think that soapy water will deter them, like the black fly? The ladybirds certainly seem to like them!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 13:31:13 »
Flea beetle are black. I also have little white insects on my brassicas. Whitefly?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 13:33:21 by dandelion »

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 13:48:32 »
White flys are white  ;D they look a bit like mould.. but dont make the little holes... thats normally flea beatles on brassicas.

Flea beetles are about 2mm long and black & shiny. If you brush your hand over the plant they jump all over the place.

I've got both on my brassica's.  >:(
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal