Author Topic: Greenhouse...  (Read 1676 times)

good_life_girl

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse...
« on: March 31, 2004, 09:33:58 »
Am back out on the lottie after long winter break (I'm such a fair-weather gardener ;D) and a couple of quick questions that I need your help with... I've had a search for past threads on this, but couldn't answer my worries.
I'm aquiring a second-hand greenhouse shortly, and have cleared a 8' by 6' patch for it, but am not sure how to fix it to the ground. Where it currently lives, it's tent-pegged into the ground, but my lottie is more exposed than where it is at the mo. My neighbours recommended making some concrete foundations, but this then defeats the point that it's free (and sdunds quite complicated)#
Any suggestions?

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
Re:Greenhouse...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 11:03:26 »
Mine is pegged into ground. I also use an awning tie down kit (available from campshops) to prevent it moving. Another method I have heard is to make a rectangular frame , then add a stake to each corner about a foot long. ( this should look like a coffee table minus the top now). Sink the 4 stakes (table legs) into the ground then screw geen house to frame

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 20:37:59 »
Well, I've erected lord knows how many greenhouses over the years. First question is; What's it made of? Plastic, alluminium or wood? Is it glass or plastic lighted?
A bit more info will lead to better advice.
Your site is 'more exposed'...does that mean you get quite high winds?

good_life_girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 16:18:04 »
Well, it's a fairly standard aluminium-framed model, with glass panels. By exposed, I wouldn't say that we get particularly high winds regularly, but that when we do there is little or no shelter. The greenhouses/sheds on the site weathered the recent high winds here without too much damage, but many of these are more permanant structures.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 21:01:16 »
Well, then. Sort of answered your own question, GLG. The 'permanant' structures are still there! You might not get many high winds, but it only takes ONE to undo lots of hard work and to destroy all that's inside your greenhouse. It's only going to be as good as what it's stood on. A few days putting a decent base down really is worth the effort.
It's not too hard a job when you consider the never ending task and cost of re-fastening over the years.
So, which way way are you heading?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal