Author Topic: Seeds that require darkness to germinate  (Read 1557 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Seeds that require darkness to germinate
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:50:21 »
Seed packets seem to have fairly standard instructions for germanation these days, usualy involving putting the seed container  in a light position, but what seed carrying these instructions have you found actualy germinate better when placed in a dark place until germination?

I am wondering if this is where many people go wrong with seed sowing (including me!).

Thanks

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Seeds that require darkness to germinate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:51:09 »
Dont quote me on this but i put my cucumbers in the airing cupboard - warm and dark

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 11:16:17 »
As I understand it, Lettuce are the only things needing light to germinate.

And since other seeds are covered with paper & glass, there's no need to put them in cupboards etc.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:15:30 »
Some flowers require light too, for example petunia, begonia, snapdragon, busy lizzy, geranium.
Evidently, lettuce needs both cool temperatures and light in order to germinate, and some tree seeds need this too like birch and scots pine.
Also I guess a lot of weeds seeds need light too, because I know that if I keep disturbing the ground during the growing season, weed seeds are brought to the surface and germinate (unfortunately!)
It seems to me though that most of the vegetable seeds germinate better when they are covered with soil, maybe because the moisture in the soil is helping them rather than the darkness as such.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 13:41:51 »
And if a seed desperately desperately needs total darkness to grow and wont otherwise? What do you do if you dont have an appropriate location free?

Would a black plastic bag be good enough?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 14:12:43 »
my seeds have to go through a rigorous interview process - we check their parentage, behaviour and likes and dislikes. any that are too fussy will not get the job. simple as that.

in return for being a harsh boss, i provide them with the very best growing conditions i possibly can - and they thank me for it

;D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 15:49:22 »
I'm not sure how many weeds need light, beyond a quick flash to let them know the soil's been disturbed. If I dig a bed over, then go rooting about with a trowel not long after, I often find it riddled with germinating weed seeds, even several inches down.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 22:52:11 »
I work on the philosphy that in nature, when a flower sheds its seeds, noone comes along and nicely covers the seed.  So, I don't worry to much about covering fine seed, I just kinda twidle my fingers lightly over the compost, some go in, some stay on the surface.  However, of course my darling children go from one extreme to the other and planted peas a week ago about a foot deep...well okay, maybe 2 or 3 inches deep, and today, all up!  So I guess the principle is, fine seed is okay scattered over the surface, as you water, you will inevitably wash the seed into the grains of compost, whereas big seed needs to be shoved in a bit.  See, I can be very scientific when I try!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal