Author Topic: Topiary Frames  (Read 1779 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Topiary Frames
« on: March 12, 2006, 21:37:27 »
I have quite a few box plants that I took as cuttings a few years ago and would love to have a try at topiary.  Ive googled to search for the frames and they are soooooooooo expensive.  Any of you bright sparks out there any idea how I would go about making my own??  I am not the most artistic of folk around so it would have to be simple to  make please.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Topiary Frames
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 23:18:54 »
Well Mimi, you could try wire coat hangers and create a circle.....hmmm...  ooo, I did just look on ebay and there are a couple on there at reasonable-ish prices. I just typed in topiary frames.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  :-\

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 23:43:13 »
DOH!!!!Never even gave E Bay a thought Emma...  Many thanks ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 16:47:52 »
Hi mimi  :D
Withies would be ideal to make a topiary structure. You can buy them from craft shops in a bunch. (They aren't expensive.) Soak them in the bath for a couple of hours and they are fab for allsorts of shapes etc... Just use garden twine,  clear sticky tape or masking tape to join together. You can even make garden lanterns etc with them and they blend in ever so well as they are natural. They last for ages too!

As well as topiary you can make any type of structure/ design and put it in the garden, looks really cool  8)

Regards - CF

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 18:13:19 »
Find a simple design you like ie a bird or an animal but keep it very simple you only want the outline, get some wire and bend to the shape twice then you have your frame :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 19:51:32 »
Cardinalflower,please oh please tell me how to make garden lanterns. We are lucky enough to be able to help ourselves from our local common when the willows are pruned and after making a fence (of sorts) I have some odds and sods left and lanterns sound good to me.
Maggie
Smile, it confuses people.

cardinalflower

• Half Acre
  • Love the smell of lilacs .....
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 23:09:46 »
Emaggie, found you a fab link with step by step photos/ illustrations of how to make lanterns from withies. Have fun  :D

CF x

http://www.welfare-state.org/general/pubpages/lanternpack.htm

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 23:53:39 »
Absolutely brilliant ! Thankyou Cardinalflower.I will have a go whilst the rugby is on this weekend.I feel some unusual pressies coming on......... ;D
M x
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal