Author Topic: Cyclamen  (Read 1924 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Cyclamen
« on: July 25, 2005, 16:25:29 »
I was given a cyclamen last christmas - indoor, in a pot. I read that I should "rest" it during the summer months so it will produce more flower this year. It has had quite a long sleep now though is still producing the odd leave etc now and again.
Can I plant this outdoors now? will it be hardy? or once an indoor plant, always an indoor plant?

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 17:05:54 »
The Cyclamen which flowers indoors from September  on is C. persicum and it is not frost hardy. If you want out door cyclamen then look for C. hederifolium or C, coum. BUT whatever you do don't buy the dried up bulbs you see on sale in Garden Centres, they are very difficult to get to grow again after that treatment. Buy one already growing in a pot.
As for your C. persicum, water and feed and it should start to produce leaves and flower buds in about a month.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 00:53:07 »
I must have several hundred C hederifolium (I love the things) and they're dormant at the moment. Get them from a reputable source - http://www.rareplants.co.uk/ has a large range of hardy cyclamen - and you can't go wrong. Don't put C. persica outside, it's not at all hardy, but most of the others are OK, some in sheltered spots only.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 14:08:33 »
My hederifolium have just begun flowering!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 16:52:21 »
A few of mine have flowers, but most are still doing nothing.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 21:23:52 »
Thanks Guys! Would not have been popular if I had killed it - was present from OH mum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal