Author Topic: Allotment Theatre  (Read 1788 times)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Allotment Theatre
« on: July 13, 2005, 19:38:23 »
Just read an article in the G2 section of The Guardian (you can probably read it online if you are interested) about a theatre company making a show to be shown on allotments in Farnham & Newark later this month & next. The article is basically a brief diary about what has happened since last August. Quite interesting. I wondered what you might think about a theatre company setting up on an allotment on your site.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Allotment Theatre
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 23:19:53 »
We had an artist one year, who put photos of his veg in a local gallery. He didn't last long.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:34:16 »
I would love that sort of thing.  I am all for art or theatre of whatever sort at my allotment site.  I think it can only be a good thing to have intergration with the community at large occasionally.  I understand that other members might go to their allotment for peace and space from the rest of the world, but I don't think it has to intrude too much on those who want that.  My committee members would, I know, not agree however, and don't encourage any community involvement at our Site. I get the impression they view our Society as a private club so it would be a big "No No"!    :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 22:07:37 »
We have an annual Open Day (coming up on the 30th) and apart from that the site is really peaceful. I think there's room for both myself, it's just a matter of finding the right compromise.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 14:57:14 »
Good luck with the lotty open day  :)  We had ours on the 2nd and it was a great success.  I think the lotty is a good place for theatre or a concert etc.  Our association, to their credit, have turned an allotment into a garden with a lawn where we have social activities and people are encouraged to use it.  We used it for the barbecue and sitting area when we had our open day and we're thinking of doing an evening concert either brass or jazz to raise money for the lotty association and our "in Bloom" group.  There would be some raised eyebrows but I think generally it would be well received.  Our open day was a resounding success despite some detractors and it raised about £300 for the allotments which has to be good news  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal