Author Topic: strawberry  (Read 1563 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
strawberry
« on: May 24, 2005, 12:37:15 »
hi, looking for what killed off all my plants. I have a proper strawberry plant pot at the house and though I got a few strawbs. last year not a great deal.  The plants were first year cuttings from my allotment stock where I dont have much trouble.  Well this year I sent off for a new stock from T&M so today I am emptying the container to plant the new and as I take out trowel full of earth at a time I am getting quite a lot of white grub type thing, half inch long and like a few legs in the middle of its body. I realise they shouldn't be there so what have I got, and can I re-use the compost or better to renew.
                   Please help,      jock

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: strawberry
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 20:14:13 »
Oh dear sounds like vine weevil they munch the roots of anything in compost.
The adult lays her eggs near the base of the plant and the compost keeps the things warm untill they hatch and munch the roots by the time you find them the plants are lost.
A good sign of the adult being around is the outside of the leaves are munched.
All pot plants in house and outside should be watered twice a year with parvado this is great stuff bit expensive but better than losing your plants.
Take the compost down lottie and spread it out the birds will find the grubs and recycle them.

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 14:29:31 »
Thanks Teresa, your's was the only reply so I hope thats the problem, will get new compost and restart again       
many thanks jock-edin. (willie)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 21:54:58 »
Your welcome Willie,
They are terrible things I bought a pot plant to put in the garden and following spring could not work out why Nora Barlow  what not growing dug the compost root out and it was full of them.
I have lost quite a few fuschia's through them so you could say first hand experence.
By the time you notice something wrong with the plant it is too late all the roots are eaten and even up the stalk.
I can live with most bugs but these make my blood boil.
Teresa

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 23:05:41 »
You can get nematodes for vine weevil- might be worth the investment for the next batch of plants- is it maxim youre getting from t&m? Got those same plants bare root from bakker.co.uk, very good so far
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 23:15:00 »
DO NOT under any circumstances put the compost on your allotment, get it and the little white $*$$*$'s in the dustbin ASAP, or burn it or send it into outer space but never give them the chance to spread. It's OK I'm calming down now  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal