Author Topic: Raspberry canes  (Read 4127 times)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Raspberry canes
« on: March 07, 2005, 13:50:28 »
hmm, so i am looking at getting one or max. two plants established. trouble is, the catalogues/mail order company tend to send raspberries out in packs of 5 or 10 - far more than i can use on my plot.

does anyone in london fancy sharing an order?
also, been to two garden centres this weekend and have been told that they have sold out of their stock/arent getting any further stock in, so mail order it is.

any ideas?
ideally, i am after autumn bliss and maybe one summer variety. like i said, can only accommodate two plants (canes?) at the most, as i also want goosegogs and a redcurrant (though an elder sounds tempting for the berries - yum!)

any help/thoughts/ideas appreciated.

cheers
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Svea

• Hectare
Re: Raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 08:04:12 »
noone?
i am afraid i will have to scrap the raspberry idea then. :-\ and wait until the autumn when maybe i can poick up small quantities locally in the shops.

svea

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:08:24 »
Svea, I have had some raspberry canes for mothers day.  However there are not enough to share unfortunatley  :-\    Once they have established and spread a bit more, I would be more than willing to swap.  :D  Varieties are....Malling Jewel...early summer fruiting, and Autumn Bliss autumn fruiting .  Sorry but thats the best I can offer for now.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:38:31 »
thanks mimi, will keep it in mind.
oh the dreaded lack of children ;) (i dont qualify for mother's day pressies :D)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 17:47:18 »
Dunno about splitting them Wardy, I give mine away with a free wine glass.  ;D

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 18:45:00 »
Hi Svea

I am a bit embarrassed to offer this - I planted my raspberry canes on Sunday and had about 3 very spindly autumn bliss left over that I decided not to plant. I don't know whether they would ever amount to anything - they were definitely the runts of the litter, but if you don't get any better offers I would be more than happy to pop them in a jiffy bag and post on to you if you want to pm me your address. They really are quite spindly though and, given that they are my rejects I will not be offended if you don't want to take me up on the offer

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 20:22:28 »
hey, i will not turn up my nose at a freebie :D

and yes, why not, i will give them a try.
Pm is on its way
thanks, carrie

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 14:45:01 »
I have got some merrily spreading thornless Glen Ample: I could put a spade through one of the really out-of-row clumps, shake off the soil and pop them in a jiffy so you've some summer ones too.  But they might have picked up a virus, as you always have to beware of with rasps: your call. 
They have never grown very tall, something I suspect has more to do with the very alkaline soil and the massive Bramley apple which shades them, rather than anything nasty. 

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 15:27:45 »
what kind of viruses might they acquire? i dont have a fruit book, unfortunately...

and if they look healthy and have cropped well, then why not? that would be swell :)

many thanks
svea

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 22:39:42 »
what kind of viruses might they acquire? i dont have a fruit book, unfortunately...

and if they look healthy and have cropped well, then why not? that would be swell :)

Raspberries are prone to all sorts of diseases, most of which wreck cropping. This is the main reason they are best bought from certified (DEFRA inspected) stock: the parents are inspected visually and I presume samples are randomly taken. If you grow your own, after a few years someone might notice cropping is reduced and the plants not as vigorous. At which point it's as well to dig them up, burn them and plant new certifed stock elsewhere in the garden.

I've had mine since January 2002: last year was the first full cropping year and I am still trying to eat the freezerful of huge berries. I don't think they're going to get very tall (ie the 6' the books quote!) because of the apple, but they are producing a lot already! There are two clumps seriously out of the row which I can't tie in,  and I was planning on removing them anyway. Don't think they are virusey but I have to mention it! Caveat emptor etc.

Send me a message on where to post them, but do try and pop them away from the autumn ones if you can, in case... (also that way you know which canes to prune to the ground and which to leave overwinter as they would invariably grow into each other if too close!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 10:05:34 »
ok, i received your autumn bliss, carrie. thanks.
havent had a look yet as had a very busy weekend away from home, and only got an hour in yesterday at the allotment.

while 'oop north' (leeds, to be precise, or morley, to be even preciser ;)) i went to a morrisons and they had fruit bushes for sale for £1.29 each :)
so i bought a gooseberry, a summer raspberry and a red currant.

moonbells, thanks a lot for the offer but it now looks as if i will not need you very generous offering after all. i do hope you are not upset about that :)

thanks again for all your help
svea

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 09:16:46 »
moonbells, thanks a lot for the offer but it now looks as if i will not need you very generous offering after all. i do hope you are not upset about that :)

thanks again for all your help
svea

No problems. I was just checking the thread to see if you'd replied as I hadn't got a pm from you. Hope you get some nice fruit!

best wishes

moonbells

nicola

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 13:36:51 »

i was told it was too late to plant canes now is that not true? i have been looking for some but cant find any anyway  :(

would love to swap but i have only weeds.

am new at all this :)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 13:44:52 »
all my bushes and canes were literally dying to go - i put them in on saturday and they all had shoots, even carrie's little runts ;)

if you can get some, get them and put them in as soon as.
mail order companies (ken muir for example) will send out until the end of march - so that's another week!

svea

nicola

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 13:39:39 »
thanks for the advice

hopefully will have some soon xx

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 17:13:09 »
I have planted mine in pots for now until I get chance to get their new home ready.  Hope they will be ok.  :-\
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 21:45:03 »
Hmm Svea - you are doing better than me  - no sign of life from mine yet ::) They do say its  not the size that matters... :o

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 23:37:29 »
oh, nothing above ground yet, carrie.
but when i planted them, they had a sprout or two

having read various postings about reaspberry canes, i am worried i have put them in too deep :-\

we'll see :)

svea

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal