Author Topic: Eat you carrot ................... tops?  (Read 6711 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Eat you carrot ................... tops?
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:46:47 »
Apparently so!

And the nutrient profile sounds too good to miss.  They can cause reactions because of the alkaloids contained in them, but only if eaten by the barrow-load according to this article from the Carrot Museum:
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/carrotops.html

To quote from the article:

The leaves of carrot ARE considered edible and are highly nutritive, rich in protein, minerals and vitamins. They contain 6 times the vitamin C of the root and are a great source of potassium and calcium. The tops of the carrots are loaded with potassium which can make them bitter, so the use of them in food is limited, but there some ideas and recipes below.  The leaves do have antiseptic qualities and can be juiced and used as a mouthwash.

These greens are packed with chlorophyll, a phytochemical that gives plants their green colour and pigmentation. Chlorophyll is an excellent source of magnesium, which promotes healthy blood pressure as well as strong bones and muscles, and has been noted to purify the blood, lymph nodes and adrenal glands

They are high in potassium, which can lower blood pressure, support your metabolism, and help prevent osteoporosis. People most at risk for heart disease are the ones who get too little potassium.

What's more, carrot greens are rich in vitamin K, which is lacking in the carrot itself and is vital to bone health. They have also been noted to deter tumour growth. 
eoq

They are related to celery, coriander, fennel and parsley all of which we happily eat.  The big problem could be confusion with highly poisonous hemlock.  But fortunately hemlock does not grow in a straight line on the plot like our carrots do!

Last year I had something germinating in the greenhouse where I had chucked ancient carrot seeds just in case some might still germinate for an early veg, and it turned out to be self-seeding coriander 'Confetti' which looks very similar to carrot foliage.

Eating beetroot tops and turnip tops has become very accepted, in fact there are beetroots as well as turnips that have been specially bred for quality leaves,  maybe the time for carrot tops has arrived?

Is that why chefs leave a bit of green attached to new carrots?  I thought that was just for show.

Has anybody tried eating carrot tops?  Or added them when making stock?   :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Eat you carrot ................... tops?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 14:21:49 »
I'd have to fight my rabbits for them! They love carrot tops.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 17:00:43 »
em dont think ill be giving them a go might try a nibble tomorrow  but not so sure i know im a coward lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 19:46:57 »
Same hear and as they should have very little actual carrot  I had better not pinch the leaves either. That said I will have a nibble when get some new ones.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 20:40:10 »
Shall be trying some as " microveg", following the tip of using up old (previous years) seed of edible types as early forage. Carrot seed is very cheap in any case.Think a tray of 100mm pots with various batches in succession across the stock range could be interesting.
With the forlorn prospect of not having a proper plot  this season , maybe this year is the year to think small, but with variety. Perhaps this idea could also be of interest to the most "senior" of senior citizens who just cannot work a full plot as they used to. 
Maybe a group of potential micro-plotters will be pleased to syndicate experiences and share successes. Please consider it.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 00:17:16 »
Same hear and as they should have very little actual carrot  I had better not pinch the leaves either. That said I will have a nibble when get some new ones.

Yes, mine only get "human" veg as a rare treat anyway. I like to give them lots of foraged wild plants (they especially love twigs and leaves of stuff like hawthorn, beech, apple, birch, etc).

Looking forward to being able to go out collecting when things start growing again, especially as we're getting low on the supply I dried for the winter...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 13:01:56 »
Bought some baby carrots with their tops on and tried some with a salad lunch.  Tasty but not a nice texture.  Might add them to a begetable stock mix but won't be eating them raw again.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 15:22:18 »
Bought some baby carrots with their tops on and tried some with a salad lunch.  Tasty but not a nice texture.  Might add them to a begetable stock mix but won't be eating them raw again.
some things are left well alone tried them came to the same conclusion as you however they do come in handy  simply grab the green top pull gently to reveal a succulent sweet tasting root give the root a try in my opinion they taste quite Divine nothing like the bitter tops i was quite shocked
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 02:45:48 »
Do they taste bitter then? But they smell so good! No wonder my rabbits enjoy them so much though, they love fragrant bitter leaves.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:20:17 »
Supermarket carrots with tops behave differently to home harvested carrots ie they do not droop within hours. Could there be a clue in perceived bitterness, perhaps ? My suspicion would be that they have the carrot version of "anti needle-drop" at point of washing.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:37 »
Supermarket carrots with tops behave differently to home harvested carrots ie they do not droop within hours. Could there be a clue in perceived bitterness, perhaps ? My suspicion would be that they have the carrot version of "anti needle-drop" at point of washing.

I think it might be to do with the qualities that commercial growers look for in the carrots they sell to supermarkets. They want long keeping, resistance to damage when on the lorry, and uniform size/shape, without caring too much about taste.

Even the posh organic baby carrots from supermarkets don't taste half as good as home-grown. So it wouldn't surprise me if the tops of supermarket carrots aren't as sweet and tasty as ones from the allotment.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 20:35:34 »
I have a few dwindling remains from the stored crop which have shot. Intend to plant these in a pot or two and force them on to test taste of fresh tops, rather than wait for the next spring sown produce. It may be interesting to blanch (as if chicory) to reduce chlorophyll , of a few to see if that improves. Please report such successes.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 22:40:01 »
An interesting thought Ancellsfarmer, provided it does not hurt the root.  I have a few carrots growing in the greenhouse and tried a leaf.  Wasn't bitter, but nothing like coriander either, a bit inoffensive and faintly carotty with a nice carrot smell.  Maybe the age of the carrot influences the flavour of the foliage?   :wave: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal