Author Topic: Got some bargains and a pepper questions  (Read 4169 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Got some bargains and a pepper questions
« on: March 10, 2015, 15:26:29 »
Two apple trees for 1.50 each from lidl great, no idea where to put them, bit of an impulse buy, thought I would use them to graft onto, and get a family tree.  Cheaper than root stock.  Anyone heard of Idared?    Though knowing lidl it will be pot luck.

Also got a pepper reduced from Sainsburys - nice big plant - several red peppers already and plenty on the way and covered in flowers.  Perked up well when I got it home.  There should be a society for the protection of plants, some supermarkets are guilty of gross neglect. That was an impulse buy too, I took pity on it.   Do they need a friend for pollination?  It has had the ends of the branches cut off, does this help the plant produce fruits?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Got some bargains and a pepper questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 16:22:30 »
Quote:Do they need a friend for pollination? 

No

Quote It has had the ends of the branches cut off, does this help the plant produce fruits?

Normally yes but this  is usually done prior to flowering, and as your plant has fruit and flowers on it already then no!

My guess is someone has tried to tidy up the plant.

Finally: This plant seems to be right out of kilter and my guess is that it has been allowed to grow on from last year, hence the tidying up!

So all it needs now is some TLC, plenty of light and warmth!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:15:00 »
They are always like that in Sainsburys,  They are about a foot tall when you buy them and all the branches have been cut off.  There are about 8 ripe and the same number ripening soon, and loads more.  According to the sainsburys web site they are grown in the uk though not convinced we have been having enough light.

They are normally quite expensive.  They have very few large leaves, so worried there is not enough leaf mass.

Do you think I should re pot it?  It is enjoying a sunny south windowsill with a radiator below and enjoyed being cooked yesterday.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 19:16:31 »
idered is dual purpose red apple ive had one for 6years always crops well eats and cooks from october all in all at £1. 50a great buy
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 21:30:56 »
I have an Idared.  Also from a bargain store about 8 years ago.  A no problem tree with a good crop every year.  Excellent apples to cook (no mush) or to eat (sweet in a tangy way)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 23:45:41 »
Many thanks for the infro for Idared.  I might have one already.  I bought a golden delicious and it had lovely red fruits and no one could put a name to it.  It will be interesting to see if they are the same.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:18:26 »
It will be interesting to see if they are the same.
perhaps you'll get a Golden Delicious this time?  :toothy12:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:36 »
.  Excellent apples to cook (no mush) or to eat (sweet in a tangy way)

Interesting!  Usually cookers are described as apples that 'do' mush, because they make applesauce by themselves without having to mash them or they make a lovely, mushy (held together by the skin only) baked apple, when cored and filled with raisins and a dab of butter (and perhaps a drop of the hard stuff for adult deserts), then topped with whipped cream.   :wave:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:06:28 by galina »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 19:56:18 »
My son used to make a tarte tatin he used to need two types of cooking apples some for a soft inner and then a harder one for the caramel coated decoration on top. 

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 20:30:13 »

Interesting!  Usually cookers are described as apples that 'do' mush, because they make applesauce by themselves without having to mash them or they make a lovely, mushy (held together by the skin only) baked apple, when cored and filled with raisins and a dab of butter (and perhaps a drop of the hard stuff for adult deserts), then topped with whipped cream.   :wave:

For apple fritters in sweet batter you need an apple that retains its shape - Granny Smith is good, tried & tested but I've a feeling Sturmer Pippin might be better - I haven't tried it yet - it certainly has a better flavour and the same crispness but that's no guarantee it won't mush.

I might try frittering some of mine soon (when I finally get some time off from sowing) - it's a fantastic keeper and mine are still zingier than most of the crud in the shops.

Hopefully the new season braeburns from the south of the equator will turn up soon (don't be fooled by the European ones that are taken out of store to 'compete' - or rather masquerade - they're rubbish).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal