Author Topic: Capsicum gallore  (Read 2032 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Capsicum gallore
« on: March 08, 2005, 00:33:56 »
Wow........................http://www.g6csy.net/chile/database.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Capsicum gallore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 07:48:18 »
Care for a tasting session??

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 08:42:07 »
Last year I grew far too many chillies and all attempts to dry them resulted in mouldy efforts so I thought I'd de-seed them and freeze them.  Oh well it seemed like a good idea at the time

What I didn't know was that they emit some kind of gas-like substance that makes you choke and retch when it's breathed in.  It makes your eyes stream, your nose run and I was left coughing and spluttering

Needless to say I won't be trying that again but it goes to show the power of these harmless looking little veggies (or should that be fruits)
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:57:59 »
Freezing works fine. They might keep better if you DON'T cut them about first. Easy to do when needed -  run under warm water & open up.

Surprised that you've only just found out about the 'fumes'. Every time you cut up a fresh or frozen chilli, it catches your throat?? And then you touch something that you have been warned not to touch!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 11:37:40 »
I knew not to touch them and then eyes, nose and mouth but wasn't aware of just how pungent the fumes were, weren't aware of the fumes.  Am now though.  Tee heee

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 11:57:44 »
Freezing works fine. They might keep better if you DON'T cut them about first. Easy to do when needed -  run under warm water & open up.
I find that they slice well from frozen - being quite small and thin skinned.  Then they can easily be de-seeded.  Being frozen, there are no problems with fumes.

Alternatively, pickle them in white vinegar.
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 17:00:51 »
I shall take all your sensible advice on board.  Pity I didn't find this forum sooner  :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 17:44:22 »
I like to roast them in the oven with olive oil, then bottle them. They keep for a couple of months this way as do sweet peppers

fearthechilli

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 13:23:40 »
Hello

I have found that the issue is that there are some that do well dried some that do well frozen and some that are just plain awful.

I have a rule of thumb, thick walled ( You know the ones Big Jim, Cherry Bomb) etc are for pickling or placing in a jar with Olive oil and roasting and sometimes freezing.  and the thin walled ones ( Thai dragon, Birds eye ) are good for hanging and drying out.

I have to agree it is a form of pepper gas that they emit.  However the worst by far are scotch bonnet dried in the oven and then break those puppies up.  NASTY

Lastly I have bolivian piquin and they if eaten act like the dentists injection on your mouth a very strange experience.

All the best

Simon@fearthechilli.com
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 13:25:18 by fearthechilli »

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 20:04:51 »
It's a great site! My starting place whenever looking up new varieties.

Graeme hasn't updated the list for a while though :(
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal