Author Topic: Early tomatoes  (Read 6526 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Early tomatoes
« on: April 29, 2013, 18:50:26 »
I got Latah this year from Realseeds for an outdoor bush variety. The claim it is "absurdly early". This got me thinking and when I sowed my GH toms at the beginning of March I threw in two Latah as well. All of my GH toms are now out, but still in their mid-sized pots so I can move them back in. Latah are still on the windowsill, enjoying the warmth of the house and I have my first flower opening. They will move to the GH middle of May and finally go outside when I really no longer have space in the GH.

Has anyone else tried similar? I'm aiming for, as the description says, "absurdly early" fruit.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Early tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:59 »
I've not tried the same with Latah, (good tasting tomato) but I'm growing Betimes Macbeth tomato which has been bred to be early and productive, it may have some tolerance to cooler temperatures. Look forward to hearing how you get on  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:18:05 »
I'm trying red alert - an early bush type.  Looking good so far with flowers just opening..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:50:31 »
I don't know what the reputation for earliness is on them, I've got fruit set on Pannovy (only bought cos they were 10p in the Wyevale sale) and on Gardeners delight, sown last week in Feb and brought on in my conservatory. I've found Gartenperle to be my earliest previously, eaten them in the first week of June, but unfortunately I found them completely tasteless...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 14:21:12 »
I've got my first flower but it's only on a minibel  :toothy10:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 23:53:51 »
I over-wintered two side shoots from a Sungold plant, taken late last season - they are both rather spindly and anaemic looking but have small green fruits and a second truss just beginning to appear; more importantly though there are sideshoots forming, some of which, when large enough I shall plant up and hopefully get some sturdier plants.

My tiny leanto GH is unheated so I am amazed that the plants survived with just a dash of water now and again!

Tricia

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 14:37:01 »
I've grown Latah before, and it is indeed very early - beating Sungold to fruition by a margin.

I found it tasteless...
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 22:27:46 »
I have to contend with the "tasteless" description for Latah. Mine last year, which were ripe at the end of May in Sheffield (if I remember correctly) had a really rich fruity flavour. I liked them so much that I have scaled up this year and have about 25 on the go which will be my preferred tomato for preserving for winter use. I think they were earlier than all others on site by about a month. I started them in February last year though and we had that hot March. This year they started at the end of March so I wont expect fruit until June! Strangely, I put 3 in the greenhouse last year to bring them on early, but the outdoor ones (which had some cloche protection) were ready first.

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:26:46 »
Has somebody tried "Glacier"?

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:17:01 »
They are always worth doing and it surprises me that they are not more popular in the UK given our blight problems and green tomato end of season glut. Favourite early I grow is Sophies choice. Kimberley and stupice also good haven't done glacier so far.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 22:06:20 »
I have to contend with the "tasteless" description for Latah. Mine last year, which were ripe at the end of May in Sheffield (if I remember correctly) had a really rich fruity flavour. I liked them so much that I have scaled up this year and have about 25 on the go which will be my preferred tomato for preserving for winter use. I think they were earlier than all others on site by about a month. I started them in February last year though and we had that hot March. This year they started at the end of March so I wont expect fruit until June! Strangely, I put 3 in the greenhouse last year to bring them on early, but the outdoor ones (which had some cloche protection) were ready first.

Compared to Sungold, GD et al you'd still call it tasty? It has a less sweet more 'tomatoey' flavour and a much thicker skin. Don't get me wrong, I consider it worth growing but the sweeter cherry toms beat it hands down for taste. For me that is.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal