Author Topic: Unidentified 'weed' - Help appreciated  (Read 2405 times)

Deleted

• Half Acre
Unidentified 'weed' - Help appreciated
« on: February 25, 2005, 11:43:07 »
Hi,

I've just taken over an allotment, and all looked good until i came across this 'weed'. The site manager was not around when i went last weekend for advice. Another plot that has been vacant for a little while - fairly near mine - is covered in this, so he put some weedkiller on it (ineffective, it would appear). Mine looked OK until i got stuck in to clearing it, and i've found that i have some of it too. Not a lot, but the roots are really vicious. Would go through spuds in no time.

It grows to about 4ft high, grassy looking long leaves. It doesn't grow in a 'clump', but spreads evenly. Stems smooth, hollow (when dead) and round, and it comes up a bit like bamboo - sharp 'spears' from underground.

I've attached 2 pics. The feathery top on the first picture is about 5-6 inches long. The second pic shows a piece of lower stem that was just below ground with a bit of root on the right, showing the start of more 'spikes'. Total size of bit in pic in pic is 5-6 inches. When the spikes are futher down/ more mature, they can be as thick as your little finger. Where the stem goes above ground up to the 'head', its only a quarter of an inch thick at most.

It's been suggested that it may be an ornamental which has been left to run riot, which may well be right. I can't find it anywhere. The roots are a nightmare. Any thoughts on what it is are welcome.

Thanks

Dawn
Dawn

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Unidentified 'weed' - Help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 11:50:39 »
And it's got a Bamboo stem?? But the flower??

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:52:06 »
Looks very much like one of the tall ornamental grasses, Miscanthus perhaps. In which case weed killer should see it off.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:35:36 »
Found it!! Was looking at photographs of the canal opposite my house, and there it was - the very same 'weed'! It's the Common Reed. It makes sense, as my allotment site is near the [long ago] reclaimed Plumstead Marshes. Handy should i wish to thatch my shed... However, I've still got to get rid of the darned thing!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 10:37:24 by Dawn »
Dawn

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 17:14:56 »
A thatched shed sounds wonderful  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...