Author Topic: Sowing/harvesting diaries  (Read 1571 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Sowing/harvesting diaries
« on: May 06, 2012, 20:26:58 »
Is it a good idea to keep one, if only to see what works in you soil over the years and at what time of year things should be  done?
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

queenbee

• Acre
Re: Sowing/harvesting diaries
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 20:46:02 »
I have kept a sowing/planting/harvesting diary since 1997 and I wouldn't be without it, I even write the date of my first raspberry pickings. When I look back the dates have not been consistent due to the weather. some very early and some very late. I always get there in the end.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 20:49:02 »
Hi Spireite

I'm in my first serious year and the best thing I ever did was get a diary out of a shop well known for selling things at £1.

Just today I was wondering whether to sow peas in modules to succeed the last sowing, a quick flick through the diary showed me that it wasn't worth bothering because I wouldn't have the space, given the time it would take them to grow on.

The only thing is, all I've recorded is e.g. "lettuce sown" then "lettuce sown on 22/03/12 are showing" then "potted on said lettuces". I wish i'd included more details like sowing medium, location, whether propagated on the windowsill/greenhouse/fish tank, potting on medium, what pots, trays, containers etc.

Next year i'm going to be even sadder than diarising it - I'm going to make little A6 sowing records and keep them in a folder, noting when the plants get a change in their circumstances and what yields i get.  :-[

I'll still keep the diary though. I'd forget to do things otherwise.

Cheers

Gord

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 21:49:37 »
I agree always worth keeping a record / diary also I tend to note the weather at times as well.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 22:37:25 »
I have been keeping notes since 1987 this is a summary of them;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:15 »
I record pretty much everything including crop yields, it's great to refer back to and good fun anyway if you like that sort of thing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal