Author Topic: TAAALL leeks.  (Read 1714 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
TAAALL leeks.
« on: December 18, 2011, 16:18:24 »
After coming across this site.. http://turkeysong.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/leeks-size-does-matter-and-so-does-shape/..I really, really fancy growing some taaall leeks... ::) ;D
Does anybody grow really tall ones? If so, where did you get your seeds from? How tall does yours get to?

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
Re: TAAALL leeks.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 16:53:00 »
Holy brownstuff! Those leeks are bleedin' massive! I would love to grow some of those bad boys!!
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 17:11:09 »
A neighbour of mine grows leeks for show; they're all propagated vegetatively. I suppose seed has to come into the process somewhere, to breed better strains. They easily get to that size.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 17:16:56 »
I couldn't resist to get some seeds..got two different 'tall' varieties from Premier Seeds. Maybe in few years time I've got myself  some of those giants when I've done some selective growing and maybe some crosses too to get my own tall strain.
Slow job but fun is in the process...I would love to get hold of some of those leeks seeds in photos.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:26 »
After coming across this site.. http://turkeysong.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/leeks-size-does-matter-and-so-does-shape/..I really, really fancy growing some taaall leeks... ::) ;D
Does anybody grow really tall ones? If so, where did you get your seeds from? How tall does yours get to?
    Hi Ive been tring out this leek the last 3yrs,first year not massive but decent size ,then the flaming leek moth ruined it all for the next 2yrs,I got the seeds at or local garden certre ,I won,t give up yet ,going to cover up next year,also got a home made feed from sheep poo! it stinks so it must be good,i'll give the blood a miss ,they grew nearly 3ft have a go  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:28 »
I can grow 'ordinary' leeks into good size without too much extra effort..but I like the idea of that extra length on shaft.. :o :-X ;D NO rude remarks please..my own imagination is running riot without any extra input.. ;D ;D
Looking at the website..they are using wee for the first feed to get the plants going.. ;D...I'm not new for that fertilizer... ;D So I'm going to try it with leeks.
Premier seeds had some Hungaria Giants and  Italian Giant d'inverno..so I'll be trialling both.
I've seen tall leeks mentioned in catalogues, but never really taken any interest as such until I saw those photos in that website.

Code: [Select]
also got a home made feed from sheep poo! Yes..sheep poo water is good..I used it on my pot leeks this year and they've done well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal